2014 JK Oil Cooler Leak

Hooperdog

JK Enthusiast
Got a leak on 2014 JKU with 70k miles, mechanic said he's seen quote a few of them..... First I've heard of this issue.. not to costly of a part but the process and labor isn't cheap. anyone else have this issue?

Yea if you was to Google that issue it's pretty common, and probably not cheap, might want to go ahead and throw some new spark plugs in while it's tore down.

Reactions: JerryD and mrjp
yeah I googled it before posting, that's why I posted, didn't see much on here about it, actually asking around in ,my JEEP club it isn't as common as it sounds... but I did see a guy at 30k miles wit hthe issue on you tube...

I had this on my 14 (rip), it is a common enough issue that is a feature for the 3.6 not just the one in wranglers. Mine was around 110K. I think it cost me about $550 parts and labor, the part itself being around $300.
I second doing the spark plugs at the same time. I did mine separate and they are a pain in the butt, but you have all the same stuff off when getting to the oil cooler.

Reactions: JerryD
My '14 had this problem as well. I bought it "certified used" so the dealership covered it. I think the newer units are less prone to breaking. Service manager said overtightening the filter housing causes stress cracks.

Yeah, @70k,might as well do the plugs. Labor is a b**ch for this, and is doable by a shade tree mechanic. I think there is a write up on the site for it.

Edit: here it is

Reactions: Hooperdog and mrjp
This is very common on the 3.6 Pentastar engine. Happened to my sisters 2016 Chrysler Town and Country minivan. My brother-in-law fixed it and said it wasn't that hard, mostly just time consuming because you had to remove a lot of crap to get to it.

This is very common on the 3.6 Pentastar engine. Happened to my sisters 2016 Chrysler Town and Country minivan. My brother-in-law fixed it and said it wasn't that hard, mostly just time consuming because you had to remove a lot of crap to get to it.
That is really is the name of the game. Like I said above I did the spark plugs at a later date, and I was most of the way to the oil cooler that I paid to have done. Torque specs are the annoying part for me because, while I have a 20 to 150 ft-lb wrench, everything in this operation requires something around 80 inch-lbs and is plastic.
These days I would do it, but at that point I wasn't as comfortable. Plus it was my work Jeep (RHD) so I needed it back fast. If you have the tools and a place to do it, not bad at all just organize your parts well and cover that intake, and don't expect to do anything else for awhile

My '14 had this problem as well. I bought it "certified used" so the dealership covered it. I think the newer units are less prone to breaking. Service manager said overtightening the filter housing causes stress cracks.

Yeah, @70k,might as well do the plugs. Labor is a b**ch for this, and is doable by a shade tree mechanic. I think there is a write up on the site for it.

Edit: here it is

Thanks, doesn't look to bad. Probably from overtightening the filter cap... nice..

Reactions: xRTDx