2013 Jk 2dr traction control issue

CDA

First time Jeep owner, took this new to me 2013 Wrangler 2 door up to the snow. All stock except wheels and tires, 33” Nitto Ridge Grapplers. Started up a small incline in about 12” snow. And the traction control started and I felt like it was slowing me down, I gassed it to try and continue up the road. It made it worse. I floored it and my RPM’s would really go up and barely spinning tires. Couldn’t make the hill in 4HI. Backed down and got more run at it. Made almost all way up and same thing. 3rd try I turned off TC and was great, had good RPM and wheel spin for a little while but the a light came on, Jeep with squiggly lines behind it. I assume traction light. Really bogged me down, made it but didn’t go up nearly as good as my sons 2001 GMC 1500. Is this normal, or am I doing something wrong? Thanks for your help!

Reactions: Dirty Dog
That's why some will do the TC delete mod.

I believe the 4 low disengages the TC but also limits your speed.
Why was it limiting me even after turning the TC off?
Ok, I’ll have to research that. This is my daily driver, I want to do some light off-road, nothing major. But I like to be able to use the power and spin the tires if I want to.

Ok, I’ll have to research that. This is my daily driver, I want to do some light off-road, nothing major. But I like to be able to use the power and spin the tires if I want to.
Because you don't really have 4WD, once you start spinning. With open diffs, when one wheel starts spinning, 100% of the power goes to that wheel. With a limited slip, 75% of the power goes to the spinning wheel. With lockers, the power goes equally to both wheels.

Unless you're driving a Rubicon (or have added lockers), you're effectively in a 2WD vehicle as soon as things start spinning.

I pulled J6 and am always in 1WD tear Assing in the snow. No locking rear diff with my model. Being driving in the snow like this for 46yrs now, no point in changing now. LOL

I didn’t, not sure how you go about that. Automatic transmission.
Did you recalibrate your speedometer after putting the 33's on?

Do you have a auto trans?

Attachments

• IMG_8059.MOV
    2.1 MB
If you didn't recalibrate your speedometer it will throw the shift points off for your transmission. So instead of downshifting to a lower gear it was staying in a higher gear and could have been causing your problem.

JScan will reset your Speedometer and maybe some tire shops would do it.

If you didn't recalibrate your speedometer it will throw the shift points off for your transmission. So instead of downshifting to a lower gear it was staying in a higher gear and could have been causing your problem.

JScan will reset your Speedometer and maybe some tire shops would do it.
I had it locked into 1st.

Well your going threw 12" of snow .
If I recall when was researching tires
the Nitto Ridge Grapller is not a 3
peak rated tire . If you plan on plowimg
threw deep snow on a regular basis
may want to look at a tire that is rated
for snow, get some lockers or chains .
Cause again 12" of snow .
I'm using BFG K02 and they are 3
Peak rated . If snow is kinda wet,
on a steep hill , their good for about 6 or 8”.
I don't have lockers yet.
Dry powder snow would perform better.
But wet snow can be troublesome .
As ice will form underneath during warm
freeze cycles making it tough to get
traction .

Last edited:
@Speartip is right about the snow. Traction on fresh snow, especially when it's REALLY cold, isn't all that bad. It's when it gets packed or slushy that traction goes down the toilet. And without lockers, you're not going to have much fun.