2013 Jeep JK Wandering While Driving

Ecerna3

Hi there! I’ve been having a problem with my 2013 jeep wrangler jk for the last few weeks and just cannot seem to narrow down the problem. Last month I changed my tires from 35 mud terrains to 35 all-terrains. As soon as they were put on, my jeep felt like it was skating on the road. Initially I thought the tire pressure was too high so I set them down to about 32 psi but the issue persisted. So I thought maybe it was an issue with the tires and had a different brand installed with the same dimensions and psi. It helped slightly but when I got to high speeds, my jeep continued to wander left to right in the lane and it felt like I was steering a sled. As in I had to nudge it back in forth instead of actually steering it. There is some play in the steering wheel left and right about 2 inches or so. So I had an alignment done, upgraded the control arms to long reach adjustables, installed new sway bar bushings, endlinks, and front track bar. I also rebuilt the whole front end last year and it seems solid. No play in the tie rod ends, hub bearings are new, and ball joints are new. I even took it to a shop for a shake down and the only thing they could think of was a slightly small bolt on the front track bar. I’m think maybe the castor is slightly off. I believe the values are about 3.9 and 4 degrees. I am at a loss for options. I was hoping I could get some insight on what to do next. Thanks for any help!

Chalk test to determine the correct pressure.
Also consider that your suspension and steering components are wearing. If you have a lot of play in the steering wheel, that would point to something in the steering system.
Another thing to remember is that roads tend to get grooves in them over time, from traffic compressing the surface. This happens on paved roads, not just dirt. If your tires are just the wrong size for your local grooves, they will cause you to wander. There's nothing to do about that but change tire sizes.

Do the chalk test to see if your tires need to be aired down more.
I would look up your tire mfg/model/load rating and see what psi is stated for typical driving based on your curb weight, not max capability of the tire. Mud terrains have less rubber in contact with the road so it may be a problem that was always there, but I would start with what changed - the tires - and be certain you rule those out first before trying anything else...

Chalk test to determine the correct pressure.
Also consider that your suspension and steering components are wearing. If you have a lot of play in the steering wheel, that would point to something in the steering system.
Another thing to remember is that roads tend to get grooves in them over time, from traffic compressing the surface. This happens on paved roads, not just dirt. If your tires are just the wrong size for your local grooves, they will cause you to wander. There's nothing to do about that but change tire sizes.
Thank you! All the steering components except for the steering box is new. I have also ran 35’s on this jeep for about 8 years and never had this issue. But I will go back and double check my steering components and definitely start with the chalk test!

Reactions: BigAL07
I would look up your tire mfg/model/load rating and see what psi is stated for typical driving based on your curb weight, not max capability of the tire. Mud terrains have less rubber in contact with the road so it may be a problem that was always there, but I would start with what changed - the tires - and be certain you rule those out first before trying anything else...
Sounds like a good start. Thank you!

Reactions: tJKrider
Hi there! I’ve been having a problem with my 2013 jeep wrangler jk for the last few weeks and just cannot seem to narrow down the problem. Last month I changed my tires from 35 mud terrains to 35 all-terrains. As soon as they were put on, my jeep felt like it was skating on the road. Initially I thought the tire pressure was too high so I set them down to about 32 psi but the issue persisted. So I thought maybe it was an issue with the tires and had a different brand installed with the same dimensions and psi. It helped slightly but when I got to high speeds, my jeep continued to wander left to right in the lane and it felt like I was steering a sled. As in I had to nudge it back in forth instead of actually steering it. There is some play in the steering wheel left and right about 2 inches or so. So I had an alignment done, upgraded the control arms to long reach adjustables, installed new sway bar bushings, endlinks, and front track bar. I also rebuilt the whole front end last year and it seems solid. No play in the tie rod ends, hub bearings are new, and ball joints are new. I even took it to a shop for a shake down and the only thing they could think of was a slightly small bolt on the front track bar. I’m think maybe the castor is slightly off. I believe the values are about 3.9 and 4 degrees. I am at a loss for options. I was hoping I could get some insight on what to do next. Thanks for any help!
I also forgot to mention that is has a 3.5in suspension lift on it. Just for added info.

Reactions: tJKrider
Thank you! All the steering components except for the steering box is new.
So I'd check the steering box.
I have also ran 35’s on this jeep for about 8 years and never had this issue.
That's pretty much irrelevant.
But I will go back and double check my steering components and definitely start with the chalk test!
Chalk, then steering box. Because yours sounds problematic.

Reactions: Ecerna3
Thank you! All the steering components except for the steering box is new. I have also ran 35’s on this jeep for about 8 years and never had this issue. But I will go back and double check my steering components and definitely start with the chalk test!

There is a screw with a lock nut on top of the steering gearbox you can loosen the nut and snug up the screw by turning it in. It's just a bandaid so to speak. But it will let you know if the gearbox is your problem.

It turned out to be the steering box. I adjusted the set screw at the top in small increments and it fixed the issue. I understand it’s a temporary fix and will be ordering a new steering box. Thanks you everyone for the suggestions!!
I need to do the same for the wife’s. Where you able to get to it with the coolant reservoir in place? Looks like a tight spot.

Two questions. First, what do you mean by "skating." Also, you play in your steering. It's unclear if you are handing about a total four inches of slop, two left and two right, or just a total of two inches. Four inches of total play would definitely cause some problems holding a line or correcting after turning. Second, did the work you had done correct whatever play there was in the steering? If it didn't, I think that is your problem. You might want to look at play in the Pitman arm and steering box.

I had to remove the reservoir. Just pull it up and it should come out. It sits in two notches facing the radiator.
Thanks for the info. I went to adjust it one day, and couldn’t get to it. Told myself, “not in the mood today to disassemble things and put back together”. Spayed some penetrating oil on it and closed up shop. Maybe tomorrow after I try and adjust the TB to center the rear axle on the LJR I’ll take a look at her steering.