2012 Check engine light

Gatorlaw

2012 check engine light came on the other day stayed in for a couple of miles then went away. Couple days later when I started it I was in the driveway for a couple minutes and the light came on again. I pulled the code P0300 (which covers a lot).

I searched the other posts and most of what i’m finding are other factors (rough idle, misfire, etc.). Thing is it sounds and runs strong. I disconnected the battery to reset the code and see if it returned. Today it returned.

Now since i’m looking for something specific I “feel like I feel a slight tremble on acceleration and a slight stumble when I stop quickly. Neither were noticeable on the tach as it’s a flutter at best.

so my question is what should I look at first on the list of possibilities. I don’t want to just toss cash till I solve the mystery. Same token I don’t want to make a small problem worse.
Thanks for the info.

I always heard don't worry about the CEL until it stays on and doesn't go out, the on and off just means that there is possibly a issue going to happen. It could be something like a bad connection or ground if it happens when driving and the roads are rough.

First thing is to set up your obd ii software to monitor o2 volts for both banks sensor 1. Sensor 1 controls how much fuel is delivered.
And long and short fuel trim for bank 1 and 2.
In Torque you can set up a screen with meters,graph, and/or numeric.
That may give you a clue.
If I remember correctly torque software will also let you see live data on misfires for each cylinder.

Don

First thing is to set up your obd ii software to monitor o2 volts for both banks sensor 1. Sensor 1 controls how much fuel is delivered.
And long and short fuel trim for bank 1 and 2.
In Torque you can set up a screen with meters,graph, and/or numeric.
That may give you a clue.
If I remember correctly torque software will also let you see live data on misfires for each cylinder.

Don

thanks for the info but I don’t have a tuner or monitor. I got the code by cycling the key and reading the dash.

This is a Jscan approve obdII scanner.

Torque you install from the Play Store.

So for $20 you get to see what the ecu is thinking.

In the long run it will more than repay you your time learning the software, and researching what the numbers should be.
Does Torque offer different features / functions then Jscan? Or can Jscan do the same things? I’ve been using Jscan for various things so just wondering if there is an advantage to Torque vs Jscan.

Does Torque offer different features / functions then Jscan? Or can Jscan do the same things? I’ve been using Jscan for various things so just wondering if there is an advantage to Torque vs Jscan.
My experience is torque pro isn't as fussy as OBD jScan. Torque also allows for the use of a USB OBD reader, which I like. Torque also has more configurable screens so you can have a pseudo-dash with the gauges you want (especially useful if you also have an Android head unit).

jScan can do more than torque in that it can change parameters. The cheapest entry in seeing info is torque (free w/ads or $5) and a dongle. jScan allows you to do much more, though

This is what my current default dash looks like with Torque Pro. I was messing with the displayed PIDs and took a quick shot tonight. I can have several screens to display different things. The nice thing about it is I can have alerts set for low/high tire psi, oil temp, trans temp, etc. (tire psi is at 0 because I'm not moving, not that they are all flat :) )

I'm certainly an advocate of jscan, which offers diagnostic and corrective tools. Torque gives me better situational awareness while driving.

dash.jpg

This is what my current default dash looks like with Torque Pro. I was messing with the displayed PIDs and took a quick shot tonight. I can have several screens to display different things. The nice thing about it is I can have alerts set for low/high tire psi, oil temp, trans temp, etc. (tire psi is at 0 because I'm not moving, not that they are all flat :) )

I'm certainly an advocate of jscan, which offers diagnostic and corrective tools. Torque gives me better situational awareness while driving.

View attachment 119751
Do the display setting stay? I noticed on the Jscan whatever PID I select are gone the next time I connect it, which I found disappointing, that was one of reason for getting it. I was told the PID need to be selected each time.

Do the display setting stay? I noticed on the Jscan whatever PID I select are gone the next time I connect it, which I found disappointing, that was one of reason for getting it. I was told the PID need to be selected each time.
Yes, that's why I like Torque - persistent display. I have a USB dongle that can leave connected and there are settings in Torque to open on startup and go right to the Dashboard. I won't leave a BT dongle connected due to security issues, but the usb is fine. Unfortunately, JScan doesn't support USB so if I have to charge settings, I use the BT & JScan.

Reactions: mrjp
Yes, that's why I like Torque - persistent display. I have a USB dongle that can leave connected and there are settings in Torque to open on startup and go right to the Dashboard. I won't leave a BT dongle connected due to security issues, but the usb is fine. Unfortunately, JScan doesn't support USB so if I have to charge settings, I use the BT & JScan.
So you use an cable similar to the below? Then I would need a usb / lighting adapter to plug into the iPhone. Looks like you have it hooked up to a tablet?
BC8A045B-290D-40BB-8A68-A1B31849812F.jpeg

if you have an iphone "Torque Pro (OBD 2 & Car) by Ian Hawkins" is probably not available.
Pick up any cheap android device and use a bluetooth obd2 dongle. No security problem, it stops transmitting when the ignition is off.

This is the android tablet I bought for my mom and it works swell. Get a mount and you can set up a high tech dash with music, movies, maps with its gps for when not viewing Torque Pro.

Last edited:
Reactions: Danarch
Unfortunately, @xackley is correct about Torque on IOS. I use OBDLink SX connected to an Android head unit which replaced my radio.

When the ignition is on is when I would be concerned with BT security and the OBD port. I work in IT and deal with penetration testing quite a bit. I'm just minimizing risk. Besides, it could conflict with my phone if I wanted to stream. The USB dongle gives me more flexibility and better security.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Danarch