2011 using oil not dripping

spiderbobr

I'm now using 1 ½ qts of oil every 800 miles. There is no oil showing around the engine pan or head gasket or oil filter, no oil has been dripped anywhere. All I can assume is the oil is being burned, but I have no really wet exhaust either. Any other possibilities? I'm now thinking. the valves are starting to get a bit loose maybe? I have not done a compression check on the cylinders. Oh, valve cover gasket show no leaking either.

2011 Wrangler Sport, with 80,000 miles

I'm now using 1 ½ qts of oil every 800 miles. There is no oil showing around the engine pan or head gasket or oil filter, no oil has been dripped anywhere. All I can assume is the oil is being burned, but I have no really wet exhaust either. Any other possibilities? I'm now thinking. the valves are starting to get a bit loose maybe? I have not done a compression check on the cylinders. Oh, valve cover gasket show no leaking either.

Have you tried putting a big piece of cardboard under the engine to see if there is a leak? If it putting that much out the exhaust you'd think it would be causing problems with the o2's or cats.

Reactions: spiderbobr
I have a concrete pad I park it on that is absolutely clean, (I keep it that way) that way I can always tell if it's dripping or blowing exhaust, but nothing. My feeling is, it's natural. Funny thing is my 95 still uses no oil, still. I guess I'll just have to keep an eye on it. Since winter is almost over (hoping anyway) I may just pull the heads and do a valve job on it. Maybe I'll find something where I can't see right now.
Thank you, I just wanted to check if anything new in oil consumption as come up over the years. But if anyone comes up with possibilities, I'd love to hear them.

You could try replacing the PCV valve. That might help some.

3.8 are know for oil consumption . It’s from blowby of the rings. Common issues . Dealer will tell you it’s normal. I’ve had 2 engines replaced due to this .
How much did the engine replacement cost?
I'm at over 200K and eventually it will fail. I don't loose much oil since changing the upper oil pan gasket, though it is still around 1/2 quart at 2000 miles. I'm still on my first oil change since the repair, so we'll see.

Reactions: mrjp
How much did the engine replacement cost?
I'm at over 200K and eventually it will fail. I don't loose much oil since changing the upper oil pan gasket, though it is still around 1/2 quart at 2000 miles. I'm still on my first oil change since the repair, so we'll see.
engine was done under warranty . cost me $100 deductible .

I have a concrete pad I park it on that is absolutely clean, (I keep it that way) that way I can always tell if it's dripping or blowing exhaust, but nothing. My feeling is, it's natural. Funny thing is my 95 still uses no oil, still. I guess I'll just have to keep an eye on it. Since winter is almost over (hoping anyway) I may just pull the heads and do a valve job on it. Maybe I'll find something where I can't see right now.
Thank you, I just wanted to check if anything new in oil consumption as come up over the years. But if anyone comes up with possibilities, I'd love to hear them.
Well, I just found the reason I'm "using oil". It's slowing making it's way out the rear seal. First step at this point will be adding an oil for expanding the seals. If I'm looking forward than engine or trans removal, I may as well try this first.

Well, I just found the reason I'm "using oil". It's slowing making it's way out the rear seal. First step at this point will be adding an oil for expanding the seals. If I'm looking forward than engine or trans removal, I may as well try this first.

The rear main seal seems to be a common leak on the 3.8's, a thicker oil would slow it down.

OK so here it is January 2023, and as for the oil consumption, I now use almost 1 qt for every 600 to 800 miles, didn't really change much with the Barts rear seal oil stop leak. But it has not gotten worse. I'll deal with it until I need to swap out engines.

Reactions: mrjp and BigAL07