2011 Jeep Wrangler JK with cold start issue

I see it more often than not. It's not the OPs fault by any means. Any good mechanic should be able to figure it out on their own, and if they can't, they should be smart enough to use the resources at their disposal (including Google) to research the issue and fix it. I mean they are getting paid to do THEIR job. The fact that somehow the customer ends up doing it absolutely blows my mind.
But of course every service writer rolls his eyes if you say you read something on the internet that could be the problem. Hoping the key really is the problem, I'm just a little skeptical.

But of course every service writer rolls his eyes if you say you read something on the internet that could be the problem. Hoping the key really is the problem, I'm just a little skeptical.

Yep, I hear you. Good stuff can be found on the internet, the problem is that you simply need mechanics and service people who are both smart enough and resourceful enough to know that if they are stumped, they have a wealth of information at their fingertips with Google.

Reactions: mrjp
Yep, I hear you. Good stuff can be found on the internet, the problem is that you simply need mechanics and service people who are both smart enough and resourceful enough to know that if they are stumped, they have a wealth of information at their fingertips with Google.
Agreed, I learned a lot from listening to customers when i owned my motorcycle shop. I had to know 40 or fifty different models and most customers owned 1 model. Accordingly, some customers knew more about their 1 model than i did and I wasn't afraid to admit that. That's how you learn and there are a lot of people out there that are not mechanics but would be darn good ones. This is a big reason I am a member of this forum.

Agreed, I learned a lot from listening to customers when i owned my motorcycle shop. I had to know 40 or fifty different models and most customers owned 1 model. Accordingly, some customers knew more about their 1 model than i did and I wasn't afraid to admit that. That's how you learn and there are a lot of people out there that are not mechanics but would be darn good ones. This is a big reason I am a member of this forum.

I appreciate that!

There's never anything wrong with not knowing the answer to something. You simply just tell someone, "let me look into that and get back to you", or something along those lines. No one is going to have all the answers, and that's the great thing about the internet. Of course some mechanics simply aren't as good as others and they won't bother to actually put in the time and research to solve something if they don't know off the top of their head.

Reactions: dcooper45
Does your JK have an auto trans? If so, you may want to check the fluid level. Some people were having a problem with their jeeps shutting down when put in reverse. It had to do with low trans fluid affecting the torque converter. It is a bit different then what you are experiencing but worth checkin

@Ghstrydr Not to sidebar this post, but was ready to post asking about this exact thing. Cold start, into reverse, Jeep stalls out had no idea WTF was happening. Checked today, trans fluid was low. This comment saved me a bunch of time, thanks!

Reactions: mrjp