2008 traction control light comes on when turning

TimB

Sahara with 3.5” lift and 35” tires. Suspension is Rubicon express. Has Rough Country steering stabilizers and drag link.

Seeing if anyone has had this issue. Im pretty sure I’ve read every thread about traction control light issues in here and still have not resolved the issue. I’ve replaced the rear wheel speed sensors and have had the suspension checked by a reputable 4x4 shop with some general repairs completed, i.e., new tie rod, drag link, pitman arm, rear track bar and an alignment done to name a few. There was one code for right rear wheel speed sensor so I replaced both. However, I have not replaced the front ones.

Everything else checked out and all programmed correctly. The mechanics are stumped as well. They’re not the type of shop to throw parts at an issue without knowing for sure if it will fix the issue, which I can respect. They are going to call a dealership and see if they can get some insight.

The issues I am specifically having is happening on turns like highway on/off ramps turning both left and right. The traction control comes on and applies the brakes and slows the Jeep down as intended. Steering wheel is straight as well and there are no codes coming up on the Flashcal.

Only other things that I can think of may possibly be the two front wheel speed sensors, and/or the clock spring. But again, no codes that would hint at either of those things being the issue.

Also, having some overall loose steering. Almost feels like I’m sliding on ice at times and there is some play in the steering wheel. I adjusted the bolt 1/4 turn on the steering box and it doesn’t feel much better.

Any ideas or recommendations?

Last edited:
I ask because I was getting a random & temporary ABS light, traction control light, and error codes for excess voltage iirc…
Turned out to be the negative terminal & factory clamp not making SOLID contact.
Fixing that shitty ground connection saved me from needlessly changing out wheel speed sensors and chasing my ass for a solution.

I'm not familiar with Flashcal, but if you had an OBD dongle and JScan, you could see in real time what was going on with the steering/brakes that may lead to the issue.

Curious to know- is it occurring on flat turns or on turns with an incline/decline? If you took it out to a flat parking lot and just made turns off a straight line run at slow speed, would it occur?

Reactions: Dirty Dog
I ask because I was getting a random & temporary ABS light, traction control light, and error codes for excess voltage iirc…
Turned out to be the negative terminal & factory clamp not making SOLID contact.
Fixing that shitty ground connection saved me from needlessly changing out wheel speed sensors and chasing my ass for a solution.
Ah ok. Did your traction control actually activate when turning though? Or was it just lights coming on?

Ah ok. Did your traction control actually activate when turning though? Or was it just lights coming on?
It is unclear if it was just indicator lights or if it actually engaged, as it was intermittent enough to just be a startling alert on the dash.
The lights & warnings typically went out after a short period, only to come on again in 5 minutes or the next day, etc.

I'm not familiar with Flashcal, but if you had an OBD dongle and JScan, you could see in real time what was going on with the steering/brakes that may lead to the issue.

Curious to know- is it occurring on flat turns or on turns with an incline/decline? If you took it out to a flat parking lot and just made turns off a straight line run at slow speed, would it occur?
It’s on any type of turn but not all turns at all speeds. I use the on/off-ramp as an example because that’s where it mostly happens based on the degrees of those types of turns and speeds usually taken 25-40 ish mph. If I were to go in a flat parking lot at a slower speed and make a turn similar to that at less than 15-20 mph then no it wouldn’t happen. It’s usually a little higher speed.

This can also be activated by one tire being lower tire pressure than the other, to include what pressure you are running in general. Worth a look. I keep meaning to get it fixed but, my one tire with a super slow leak eventually causes the speed sensors to throw an error.

Reactions: TimB and BigAL07
This can also be activated by one tire being lower tire pressure than the other, to include what pressure you are running in general. Worth a look. I keep meaning to get it fixed but, my one tire with a super slow leak eventually causes the speed sensors to throw an error.
No issues with tire pressure or leaks.

Everything thing our Jeep Bros suggested is accurate .
I’m wondering if it’s your front bearing / hub or the sensor attached to front hub.
When the hub starts going usually ABS lights up .
I’m wondering if just giving you a different warning for whatever reason .
It may also explain loose feeling & intermittent warning light as it’s just starting to go .
You have a 2008 . If they’ve never been replaced that’s where I would start .
I replaced mine in the spring for preventive maintenance reasons a and it did tighten things up front .

Reactions: BLACKJKU and TimB
Everything thing our Jeep Bros suggested is accurate .
I’m wondering if it’s your front bearing / hub or the sensor attached to front hub.
When the hub starts going usually ABS lights up .
I’m wondering if just giving you a different warning for whatever reason .
It may also explain loose feeling & intermittent warning light as it’s just starting to go .
You have a 2008 . If they’ve never been replaced that’s where I would start .
I replaced mine in the spring for preventive maintenance reasons an and it did tighten things up front .
Hubs have been replaced. If you’re talking about the front wheel speed sensors I was thinking the same thing but not getting any codes. It’s not just that the traction control light comes on, the traction control actually kicks on. But I’ll give it a once over and talk to the shop again. They’re pretty reputable so I’m certain they would have brought it up. Thanks!

Reactions: Speartip
Hubs have been replaced. If you’re talking about the front wheel speed sensors I was thinking the same thing but not getting any codes. It’s not just that the traction control light comes on, the traction control actually kicks on. But I’ll give it a once over and talk to the shop again. They’re pretty reputable so I’m certain they would have brought it up. Thanks!

Ok Hubs replaced on the front . That’s good Did they use the new sensor & wire that comes with the hub .
Or did the shop just plug in old sensors to the new hubs ?

If you’re talking about the wheel speed sensor I’m unsure. I was debating changing those out after I did the rear speed sensors. Not getting any fault codes for those but I plan to check those out and see how they look. Debating on going to Jeep and having them run a diagnostic.

Reactions: Speartip
If you’re talking about the wheel speed sensor I’m unsure. I was debating changing those out after I did the rear speed sensors. Not getting any fault codes for those but I plan to check those out and see how they look. Debating on going to Jeep and having them run a diagnostic.

Yes referring to speed sensors that plug into front bearing/hub. There isn’t really anything to check out .
It’s a wire that plugs into another wire loom behind front shock tower .
That wire connects to front hub.
It’s possible one of the front sensors are damaged .
Not entirely sure if you would get a code . A damaged sensor could cause weird things to happen with traction control etc . That’s why I was curious if shop for sure installed new sensors with hubs.
New hub/bearings come with sensor and wire etc . But old one’s can be reused if careful taking out the old sensor .
It would be a good idea to take to legit shop & get a diagnostic done .
Everyone here means well and would like to help . We could all suggest this or that but it is best guess . When it comes to electrical can be very challenging sorting it out .

Reactions: TimB
The rear wheel speed sensor gave me a fault code so I would think the front ones would too. Definitely gonna look into it since the front ones and possibly the clock spring are the two other things that haven’t been addressed yet. Thanks again!