2008 JK Starting or Dead Battery Issue

cpwolf

JK Enthusiast
Supporting Member
My son's 2008 JK has been a pain. I replaced the battery in December, so it's not the issue.

If I leave it a few days, it won't start. I've pulled everything but the cables to start it.

The issue that I'm seeing is that my son is driving it, I'm checking the battery and it looks to be charged.

It's a stick and he killed it at an intersection and it wouldn't start (ha, tons of fun). He called, can I come jump, then bam it starts.

I have an Autozone starter which I hate on there and I'm going to just replace it and try and get OEM.

@Chris sorry to be so long, but you posted this below and I copied here, is there any type of detail we can get ? Is there a bulletin to track? I'm curious if this is part of my problem.

I was talking to my friend who also owns a 2008 JKU and this is what he said in response to your issue:

"It’s a factory problem. There’s a wiring defect on all 08s made before May of 2008. It’s about $180 and the dealership has to replace some wires that lead to the starter. Mine has the same problem, check the VIN and see when it was built and if it was before May of 08 I’d bet money that it’s this wiring problem."

Reactions: vaffanculo
Did you happen to check the cables to make sure they are clean? Well clamped on? I know you said battery was replaced but did you check it with a load on it? Any CEL or other lights on the dash?

The starter won't turn over at all? Have you tried jumping the terminals at the starter?

My son's 2008 JK has been a pain. I replaced the battery in December, so it's not the issue.

If I leave it a few days, it won't start. I've pulled everything but the cables to start it.

The issue that I'm seeing is that my son is driving it, I'm checking the battery and it looks to be charged.

It's a stick and he killed it at an intersection and it wouldn't start (ha, tons of fun). He called, can I come jump, then bam it starts.

I have an Autozone starter which I hate on there and I'm going to just replace it and try and get OEM.

@Chris sorry to be so long, but you posted this below and I copied here, is there any type of detail we can get ? Is there a bulletin to track? I'm curious if this is part of my problem.

I was talking to my friend who also owns a 2008 JKU and this is what he said in response to your issue:

"It’s a factory problem. There’s a wiring defect on all 08s made before May of 2008. It’s about $180 and the dealership has to replace some wires that lead to the starter. Mine has the same problem, check the VIN and see when it was built and if it was before May of 08 I’d bet money that it’s this wiring problem."

Oh man, I haven't talked to that guy in forever. I'll need to see if I can get ahold of him and ask more about it (if he remembers), because it was more than I can remember at the moment.