Yes, another oil question (thinking about switching from 5w20 to 5w30)

Ghstrydr

JK Enthusiast
I have a '14 Sahara with just over 61K miles on it and have been thinking about switching from 5w20 to 5w30. I use full synthetic oil, not sure how that would affect the switch in oil viscosity. I have heard of others doing this and I'm just trying to get a better understanding as to the advantages and disadvantages.

IMO the only real advantage to 5w30 is it is slightly thicker at operating temperature and will protect better in warmer/hot weather. Many feel FCA uses 5w20 is to provide better fuel mileage at the expense of better protection.

The 3.6 is a robust engine and will be fine with either. That being said, if you are pushing the engine hard in hot weather than 5w30 is a better choice.

IMO the only real advantage to 5w30 is it is slightly thicker at operating temperature and will protect better in warmer/hot weather. Many feel FCA uses 5w20 is to provide better fuel mileage at the expense of better protection.

The 3.6 is a robust engine and will be fine with either. That being said, if you are pushing the engine hard in hot weather than 5w30 is a better choice.
Okay, kind of what I was thinking. Living in the North East I don't think 5w30 will offer additional protection for my engine. Thanks for the reply.

When I have a engine that starts getting high miles on it I go with a heavier weight oil, but under 100,000 it's not really necessary.

Reactions: mrjp
From the responses I received it seems that the main reason that 5w20 is recommended is primarily for gas mileage. The other factor being the over all gain in engine protection is an unknown with 5w30. Given that I change my oil at 3k mile intervals I'm going to stay with the recommended oil viscosity.

I live in the North East so heat is not something I need to consider. If someone can make a compelling argument for 5w30 illustrating increased engine longevity then I would make the switch.

I have spent way to much time trying to find a difinitive answer and found it comes down to how you use your Jeep, where you live, still under warranty, and to some extent, comfort level.

Oil doesn't die from old age like people, i've had oil samples done and at 12,000 miles the oil was still good for more miles.

These newer vehicles burn cleaner then the old carbureted engines of years ago, so you can go more miles on the oil in newer vehicles. But it's your vehicle if you feel better every 3,000 then you better do it. On my diesels I change the filters every 5,000 miles and the oil about 15,000 miles.

Reactions: mrjp
Oil doesn't die from old age like people, i've had oil samples done and at 12,000 miles the oil was still good for more miles.

These newer vehicles burn cleaner then the old carbureted engines of years ago, so you can go more miles on the oil in newer vehicles. But it's your vehicle if you feel better every 3,000 then you better do it. On my diesels I change the filters every 5,000 miles and the oil about 15,000 miles.

Again you make a good point referring to changing the filter more often then the oil in some cases. While looking at oil filters I noticed some are rated for 5k miles, others 7k, and some 10k miles and more.

Knowing this along with the oil type and weight, how I drive, and where I live does drive my decision, and yes, my comfort level🙂

One other thing, how did you know I come from the age of flat heads and carburators?

My first vehicle before I got my DL was a 1965 Comet. Does that tell you anything I see your only 4 more then me.