Wiring Question

ColinD

Hello, I'm looking to add three sets of lights to my 2018 JKU. On the bumper I think I'm going to go with KC Hilites 6" Slimlite LED and on the A-Pillar I'm looking at KC Hilites Flex ERA 3's instead of cube lights, and some lights yet to be determined in the rear of the jeep. I've also pretty much settled on using a 6 switch S-Pod to help with the wiring. My question is this: The Flex ERA 3 lights come with a three position switch. One for amber backlighting, one for bright white light, and off. As far as I can tell the S-Pod switches are only two position. Can I wire up the amber backlighting and the white light wires to two separate S-Pod switches? Since I'm only going to be using three of them and I'll have six it makes sense to me; but I KNOW NOTHING about wiring other than my online research.

If this will not work are there other alternatives other than using the Flex ERA 3 switch separate from the S-Pod? Which I would not do btw, I would look at other lights before doing that.

I have not purchased any of the equipment yet, just doing recon before I buy. Here are a couple pics of the Flex ERA 3 switch and wires:

Thanks in advance!

FlexERA3SwitchWiring.jpg

FlexERA3Switch.jpg

To answer your question, Yes you can wire the Flex Era 3 to 2 separate switches. If I am correct those are non lighting switches, there is 1 "hot" wire the other 2 are the outbound to the white or amber. Make sure you maintain a good ground wire or the switches in the S-pod or they will not light up. It should come with instructions if not reach out with pics and I will assist.

Your thinking was correct and it is the same thing I would do in your scenario.

Good luck!

Reactions: ColinD
To answer your question, Yes you can wire the Flex Era 3 to 2 separate switches. If I am correct those are non lighting switches, there is 1 "hot" wire the other 2 are the outbound to the white or amber. Make sure you maintain a good ground wire or the switches in the S-pod or they will not light up. It should come with instructions if not reach out with pics and I will assist.

Your thinking was correct and it is the same thing I would do in your scenario.

Good luck!
Thank you! I'll certainly reach out if/when I have questions. It might be a while though, these things are expensive and I'm going to start off with the lights for the bumper first, which I think I can manage on my own.

You could also get a two position rocker from someone like OTRATTW with a custom rocker cover. You would still use up two relay hookups on the s-pod, but you'd save a switch position.

Just a thought.

Reactions: ColinD
In thinking about this a little further, the stock switch only allows white OR amber. If you use two separate switches, what is to prevent both from being turned on at the same time? Unless you want to get fancy in how you wire your switches, it seems buying a replacement on-off-on rocker would be the easiest way to go.

In thinking about this a little further, the stock switch only allows white OR amber. If you use two separate switches, what is to prevent both from being turned on at the same time? Unless you want to get fancy in how you wire your switches, it seems buying a replacement on-off-on rocker would be the easiest way to go.
I've thought about that too, I wonder what would happen if I accidentally turned on both at the same time? So if I buy a on-off-on switch how would I wire that up? I haven't even ordered the lights yet and from the looks of things they are on a 30 day backorder; so I have some time for research.

Just like the original. Except if you use the sPOD wiring, instead of two switches you'd take switch A's circuit connection and use it for the white and switch B's for the amber. I have a voswitch and my circuits are numbered for each relay;I expect the sPOD to be similar.