Winter tires and tire size change

TahoeJim

Hi
I bought a built-out 2013 last year. Prior owner was running 315 70r17 M/Ts. They have 50% tread left and so are horrible on packed snow/ice. I need winter tires.
I’d like to buy the same procomp rims to mount my winters on so I can swap myself every year.
Q: there aren’t too many winter tires in my size. Do I need to drop down to 285s?
Q: if I do that, will it affect the set up in any other way (suspension, etc)? It’s just width so it shouldn’t matter should it?
Q: if I try to keep my 315 size my options look to be Nokian LT3s (studded!), or I get duratrac or KO2s and sipe them. Thoughts?

0259ACFA-550C-4F21-8E2C-621AAFF91447.jpeg

If you drop down in size you will need to reprogram for proper shifting points and speedometer

Thanks Mrjp, that is what I was afraid of. I guess back to plan A... finding a winter tire in my same size.
I really want this to be dead simple.... swap into winter set in December and back to M/T in April.

Reactions: mrjp
A tall skinny tire will get through the snow better, you can buy a programmer that will change your tire size and pretty sure also adjust for lowering tire pressure so they ride good.

A 255/80-17 tire is only 1.3" in diameter smaller but 2" narrower.

Reactions: mrjp
BFG KO2 is extreme snow rated, and comes in the 315 size. That's what I reccomend.
I second this motion on BFG KO2s or even KM3s (mud). You won’t have to swap. Or, get another brand M/T that’s rated for snow. You can sell those current ones to someone when spring or summer comes for probabaly $200-350 easy (if you have 50%) and make up the money you spend on the new ones.