Why this forum kicks ass

Moab

JK Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I have been a member on the TJ sister forum for about 3 or 4 yrs. With around 3k to 4k posts. And been here in the JK forum, once getting my JKU, within the last year. And been a member on dozens of forums over the last 25+ years.

I have to say there are older, larger forums. But the way @Chris manages his forums is an extreme example of how a forum should be run. And why it is so kuch better than others.

Other forums may have a larger membership. But the modding and community pale in comparison to here. And it makes a BIG difference.

I can post a question on another Jeep forum. And not get as many responses, get alot more blow hard responses with no vetting from other members, but most importantly not find any stored information. Let alone stickies. It just seems like the modding is out to lunch. With no effort put into compiling a database of knowledge on the given subject.

I've said this before. But a forum is not just for communicating with others who have shared interests. But its an opportunity to compile a vast knowledge base of vetted information on the given subject at hand.

Most forums miss this. And end up simply being just a chat forum. Which misses the most valuable aspect of a forum - saving that discussed, vetted information in a compiled list of resources. So many forums leave you with a search function of previous discussions. And thats it. Which is never as effective as when that knowledge is compiled into a resource and vetted by knowledgeable members.

When I say "vetted" I mean:

1) Someone posts a piece of information.

2) The other members discuss it. Posting pros and cons. Agreeing or disagreeing with that info. Or in a knowledgeable, active forum if someone had posted something incorrect. You can bet someone would have corrected him.

3) You can tell which opinions matter the most. Because they are usually posted by very high post count, senior members. That most agree with. Because they are usually right and there vast knowledge on the subject is obvious. But its also an open discussion. Where different opinions can be expressed and supported with facts and experiences.

All of this "vetting" leaves you with a assurance that what your reading is good advice or knowledge. It's invaluable.

And why I don't understand the infatuation with other, newer types of forums.

(For example Reddit seems like a pile of junk to me. But has a HUGE membership base. I could go on for paragraphs about why it seems to suck to me. But beyond the lack of a compiled database of information on any given subject. Which leaves posters asking or posting the same stuff everyday. But there is no way to guage the source of information. Like the post count of daily active members like there is on a traditional forum. Reddit just seems like one big scrambled set of chat rooms. Not to mention I've been on there for years. And it seems to be the most unnatural not easy to navigate software ever.

Alot of the same can be said for Facebook groups and social media. What a waste it is to post to twitter ir instagram looking for any kind of knowledge.

Yet traditional forums seem to be viewed as older tech. Anyway. Stepping off my soap box. Lol.)

@Chris has worked hard to write and compile a vast knowledge base on his forums. That has been vetted by senior members that really know their shit!

Lastly, 90% of forums become useless when they are not properly modded for attitudes. No one wants to talk to an asshole. Or a vast sea of them not held in check. Or simply not asked to leave. And there are alot of insecure assholes in the world. But 90% of us are simply good people looking for answers. Or the most valuable simply looking to help others.

Which is where the community is formed. Like minds, looking to share knowledge within a shared interest. Simply wanting to help each other. That are genuinely just nice people. I have belinged to a gun building forum for many years. That alot of our society would look at as a bunch of psychos or assholes. But I have never been in a group of such nice and helpful, giving individuals in my life online.

@Chris has done this on a very high level. And I sincerely appreciate him for this.

I have belonged to dozen of forums over the last 25 yrs or so. But there are only a few I have continued to contribute too. And they all have the above principles and objectives in common.

Thank you @Chris! And thank you to all of those knowledgeable contributors. High post count or not. I sincerely appreciate all of you.

Thank you, @Chris!

I sure do appreciate the kind words! This place is still growing by all means, but I'm hoping it ends up with a similar vibe to Wrangler TJ Forum. There aren't too many good forums left after Vertical Scope and Internet Brands bought them all up and ruined them, but I think a lot of it is in the way the forum is operated and maintained, which is what I pride myself on.

Again, thank you for the kind words and since I'm just seeing this now on Christmas, Merry Christmas!