Where is the factory satellite tuner located?

JKFreedom

I have a Kenwood touch screen head unit I'll be installing in my 2015 JK. I first had it in my C6 Corvette and then moved it to my Chevy 2500. In both Chevy's I was able to tap into the factory satellite antennas instead of installing a separate antenna. My Jeep with the 130 radio has sat radio functionality, so I know there is an antenna and tuner somewhere. Anyone know where it is and how difficult it is to get to?

I believe the tuner is built in to the radio. You should be able to get an adapter for the antenna though. Crutchfield might help.

Here's a pdf that shows the location

Thanks - you are correct, the tuner is in the radio and the fakra antenna connector connects directly to the back of the radio. I replaced the 130 radio with a Kenwood touch screen with Apple Carplay (wireless) and just replaced all 4 6.5" speakers with the Kicker upgrade kit and wow, what a difference.

Reactions: JerryD
Thanks - you are correct, the tuner is in the radio and the fakra antenna connector connects directly to the back of the radio. I replaced the 130 radio with a Kenwood touch screen with Apple Carplay (wireless) and just replaced all 4 6.5" speakers with the Kicker upgrade kit and wow, what a difference.
Which Kenwood? My daughter is looking for an upgrade.

Did you do the poly fill trick in the soundbar?

Which Kenwood? My daughter is looking for an upgrade.

Did you do the poly fill trick in the soundbar?
Mine is a Kenwood DDX8706S but I think it's been replaced now by the DDX9706S. Anyway, I wanted Kenwood and I wanted wireless Carplay and that unit fit the bill from what Crutchfield had available at the time. It has a DVD/CD player behind the screen and I didn't really need or want that but they were out of stock on the disc-less units. I also already had a sat tuner with it and an adapter that can take the factory fakra sat antenna wire and hook it directly to the tuner.

Yes, I definitely did the poly fill behind each of the 4 speakers.

One weird thing I found was that the harness I received to hook the Jeep to the Maestro adapter had the front and rear speakers wired backwards to where fading to the rear made the front speakers plan and vice versa. So, I had to go back in and swap the 2 clips that feed the speaker leads. Now it all works great.

The antenna is located on top of the sound bar. You can get an adapter to allow you to use the plug that goes into the current stock radio. The tune is however built into the stock radio so you will need a new tuner in the aftermarket radio.

The antenna is located on top of the sound bar. You can get an adapter to allow you to use the plug that goes into the current stock radio. The tune is however built into the stock radio so you will need a new tuner in the aftermarket radio.
This is the third vehicle I've installed this head unit in and I do have the add-on xm tuner with it. The previous 2 were Chevrolets and both had sat tuners that were external to the head unit. However, on all I was able to tap into the factory sat antenna wire with a fakra to coax elbow adapter and it works great. My wireless Carplay requires that the GPS antenna be plugged into the unit and I found a nice spot under the dash on top of the instrument cluster to put that and it stays hidden but still works great.