Where do I start with my Jeep?

MrsRacz

I bought Mighty Mouse, a 2010 sport with a manual transmission. There are no bells and whistles to this thing, the AC consists of me crank rolling the windows down or taking the top off. I love it, this is my dream jeep and as far as I'm concerned a top of the line luxury vehicle for me. It's easy to work on and fun to drive. But it came from Canada and is pretty rusted. I know I'll have to replace and repair a lot. But I want this thing to last. I bought it with less than 50,000 miles on it this past summer. It has a ton of potential, but I'm not sure where to start.

Side note, this jeep has become a huge bonding point for my daughters. They all are eager to learn to work on it and help every chance they get.

Reactions: Chris
I bought Mighty Mouse, a 2010 sport with a manual transmission. There are no bells and whistles to this thing, the AC consists of me crank rolling the windows down or taking the top off. I love it, this is my dream jeep and as far as I'm concerned a top of the line luxury vehicle for me. It's easy to work on and fun to drive. But it came from Canada and is pretty rusted. I know I'll have to replace and repair a lot. But I want this thing to last. I bought it with less than 50,000 miles on it this past summer. It has a ton of potential, but I'm not sure where to start.

Side note, this jeep has become a huge bonding point for my daughters. They all are eager to learn to work on it and help every chance they get.
Add some pictures so we can see it!

I don't see too many Jeeps with no A/C, but I imagine that's because if our jeeps down here didn't have it we would all die of heat stroke. lol

Yes, do post photos if you can, as that will help with us giving you guidance on where to start.

They didn't make many of them without A/C. However, I must admit that the idea of one without A/C, manual windows, and no bells and whistles, is very utilitarian and cool!

Yes, do post photos if you can, as that will help with us giving you guidance on where to start.

They didn't make many of them without A/C. However, I must admit that the idea of one without A/C, manual windows, and no bells and whistles, is very utilitarian and cool!
He says this until he moves back to the southwest. :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: billiebob and Chris
Pictures of Mighty Mouse. She's not fancy, but she's pretty awesome!

20200220_120137.jpg

20200220_120115.jpg

20200220_120313.jpg

20200220_120337.jpg

20200220_120351.jpg

20200220_120019.jpg

20200220_120630.jpg

I can say all the jokes I get from my husband about how my jeep is worse than the desert in the summer. Theres no AC...not even a button for it. But, I've always preferred vehicles without, much easier to work on and less can go wrong.

Reactions: Chris
When the weather warms power wash the bottom, flush the frame, clean the surface rust off the frame as best you can. Paint what you want on the frame, Do not paint over flaky rust. I think Rustoleum products work just fine. Wait a few weeks, then take it to Krown rust control, or someone that will hit every nook and cranny with Fluid Film.
When cleaning, pull the tail lights, there may be mud and salt in there.

Last edited:
Is it a 2 door? I asked this because 4 door is one door too many. (bad joke huh?)
A gallon of POR-15 is a good present to your husband.

Last edited:
From what I can see, you need to spend 10 hours with a wire wheel under the vehicle, taking all that rust off and getting all of the rust areas down to bare metal. Then you would go over the areas you wire wheel with a good satin spray paint to cover the bare metal. If you do this and keep a close eye on it going forward, you shouldn't have any rust issues, as long as you don't drive it when they put salt on the roads (then all bets are off).

Keeping it coated with an oil based under coat like the Krown or Fluid Film products might keep the frame and body lasting as long as the drive train. Do not under coat it with any product that dries hard. In the salt belt coatings like ziebart are worse than no attempt to protect at all.

Yes, the Fluid Flim (or similar) will certainly help deter the rust, but unless you coat it very liberally, and very often, that salt is going to destroy the vehicle in the end.

Keeping it coated with an oil based under coat like the Krown or Fluid Film products might keep the frame and body lasting as long as the drive train. Do not under coat it with any product that dries hard. In the salt belt coatings like ziebart are worse than no attempt to protect at all.
I thought POR-15 is one of the paint that can go over rust.

Where in Canada did it come from. So far that one underside pic does not look bad. How about a couple at the rear. I agree with Chris, wait for a hot dry day, wire wheel and a regular spray paint. I'm not a fan of POR either. Rust Coat is my go too. No matter what you choose the dryer the better.

IMG_0731.jpg