When you have to use a front mount hitch

Ballermaris

JK Enthusiast
Lifetime Supporting Member
In a problem I faced, I needed to find an option to carry a Bicycle rack that will support an Ebike. The problem is I have also to tow a travel trailer too, but using a spare mounted bike carrier was out due to the distance spacing between the trailer and the area where the rack would sit.

An initial thought came to mounting the carrier on the trailer frame, however, that would not be doable because of the wireless brake controller mounted on the trailer frame.

After contacting Smittybuilt, who made the bumpers on the Wrangler, the option was to install a front-mounted class 3 receiver. As it was, a unit made by Curt manufacturing was located and ordered.

While modifications will still be made to make the hitch bolt up, the solution to mount the bike carrier for the Ebike will work. Because of the specific model, I am able to recommend the use of the Curt 41432 for the front side of both stock and non-stock Wrangler JK's.

Reactions: BLACKJKU
I've also seen where people will put a receiver on the campers rear bumper so they can put something in that location.

Post some photos if you get a chance, I'd like to see!

Also, you ride e-bikes? I have an eMTB. A Trek Rail to be specific :)

The travel trailer that I have has no rear bumper, which in itself it a weight-saving feature. I will post photos of course of the front-mounted receiver when it is completed. I ordered it through 4WP.com to have it installed by the store that has done most of the work on the Wrangler.

Since they sell and service Smittybuilt, it should be pretty straightforward for them to do minor surgery on the front bumper.

I think it will take around 5-7 days for the parts to come in.