Wheel squeak, any other ideas?

FishFam JKU

JK Enthusiast
So I bought my 2008 JK used last December and loving it. Although there has been one thing I can’t get solved.
After a wheeling trip I noticed I had a stuck caliper and a bad seal. I ended up replacing the pads, rotors, bearings and seals. Re-greasing the caliper slides and everything looked and ran good for a bit. Then a squeak appeared. Intermittent and only when warmed up. Disappears when braking and located on the driver rear. Next I replaced the entire caliper which seemed to remedy the problem for 1-2k miles but now it’s returned. Newest step was flushing the brake fluid and that did nothing to help.
My last attempt will be to replace the E-brake pads. If that doesn’t solve it all I have left is the brake lines.

What am I missing? It sounds just like a worn down pad hitting the indicators, high pitch and matching speed of the wheel.

Cheers

It could be the rubber line, when they go bad they will collapse on the inside and restrict the flow of fluid back to the MC.

Reactions: mrjp
So. I’m 3/4 way through swapping in new brake lines. Snapped off bleed screw from the previous owner stalled the full install.
I will say, no change with the new lines so far. Still a squeak.
The pads I put on were ceramic/carbon Power Stop Extreme Pads.
Next try while I change the last brake line will be some CRC Brake Quiet.

Any diagnosis on the bent axle flange?

Seems like snag after snag on this. While I was able to easily get the stripped bleed screw replaced, I ended up with a stripped thread on the hard line flare nut.
Now I’m on the hunt for a replacement line for the driver front to finish the brake line replacement.
As she sits now:
CB6B92E2-DAA4-48D3-8E09-424AC5ED01D2.jpeg

@SteveF semi-metallic pads would and could squeal when applying the brake. I have to burnish mine often to eliminate it on mine.

As for your intermittent squeak, I had something similar. It was the clips that hold my brake pads. Once I replaced them, (lubed as well) it was gone. In fact, two of the clips where broken. Don't ask me how....wear and tear, I guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: JerryD and mrjp
One week now without the squeak.
The hard line is replaced. The braided line for the driver front had some significant damage, like it made contact with the shock on full compression. Hard kink near the caliper. Possible culprit.

New silicone coated brake clips are on as well. With all my luck the $5 clips were likely the issue the whole time. The clips were new with the pads, I assumed decent quality but some were bent and worn just after 2k miles.

Scott

Mine a 08 did the same thing. Squeak when usually backing up drivers rear. This was after new pads and rotors. Inc caliper. Starts after a couple of weeks. Pulled pads and sanded them. Looked glazed. Came back a couple of weeks later. Put in better pads and a couple of months later no squeaks. 👍

I keep saying it: the JK is a quirky gen of the Jeep Wrangler. Finicky as hell in many ways. Guess that can be said about any FCA / Wrangler when not sticking with OE parts but the JK (in my experience) has been similar "little shyt here and there" that I often see on various forums.

Last edited: