What's the best way to fix a rear window defroster that detached?

Tried the Permatex. Garbage. Almost all of the paint peeled off when I took the masking tape off. Without a continuous line the defroster won’t work (I left my soft top on so I haven’t tried the defroster on the hard top yet). Feel like Safelite is my next call - or a local glass guy who owns a Jeep. Take care of the brotherhood.
Found a great local Boston area small business for rear window glass replacement: Woburn Glass Company. Dealer was $934 for just the rear glass PLUS labor for installation. Safelite was $655 installed. Woburn Glass is $425 installed. Stick with local businesses, Jeep drivers. 👍🏼

Reactions: Speartip
Quick update. Don't waste your money on the Permatex kit. My wire is still attached to the glass but the defroster still didn't work. Can someone please put a rock through the rear window so my insurance will pay to replace it
Spark plug... must have slipped while you were changing them.

Reactions: Speartip
I just found this on ours… and remembered scrolling past this thread thinking “How the hell does the defrost wire come off the glass?”

Well, I still don’t know HOW, but at least I know it can be repaired.

I’m going to dig through my vast knowledge base to find a solution other than the Permatex.

I just found this on ours… and remembered scrolling past this thread thinking “How the hell does the defrost wire come off the glass?”

Well, I still don’t know HOW, but at least I know it can be repaired.

I’m going to dig through my vast knowledge base to find a solution other than the Permatex.
Permatex sucks. The wire is sticking to the metal on the glass but it doesn't work. When I put the rear defroster on my heated mirrors work but nothing happens to the rear window.

Permatex sucks. The wire is sticking to the metal on the glass but it doesn't work. When I put the rear defroster on my heated mirrors work but nothing happens to the rear window.
I still think changing your spark plugs would help. Just be super careful when you toss them into the bin. If one were to accidentally hit your window, there's a really good chance it would break. And then your insurance would have to replace it.

• Face Palm
Reactions: Speartip and mrjp
I found an actual "Jeep rear defroster repair kit" for about $60 shipped.
If I lived in a snowy area, then it would be a no-brainer to place the order now, but here in SoCal, I don't expect to need the rear defroster much.

I found an actual "Jeep rear defroster repair kit" for about $60 shipped.
If I lived in a snowy area, then it would be a no-brainer to place the order now, but here in SoCal, I don't expect to need the rear defroster much.
It was -2F and snowing this week. I think I hate you now.

I grew up in Alaska where it gets really cold.
I moved south as soon as I got the chance; you can too. :ROFLMAO:
Between us, Mrs. Dog and I have 10 kids, their spouses or S.O, and 14 grandkids (at last count...). One daughter lives on the gulf coast in TX. The rest all live within an hour or so of us. I don't think we will be moving. If we did, it would be to the Caribbean. Mrs. Dog says I can teach SCUBA diving during the day and Taekwondo at night.

Between us, Mrs. Dog and I have 10 kids, their spouses or S.O, and 14 grandkids (at last count...). One daughter lives on the gulf coast in TX. The rest all live within an hour or so of us. I don't think we will be moving. If we did, it would be to the Caribbean. Mrs. Dog says I can teach SCUBA diving during the day and Taekwondo at night.
Or you can combine both classes into one, underwater Taekwondo lessons. It makes good use of your time.

Or you can combine both classes into one, underwater Taekwondo lessons. It makes good use of your time.
Some years ago, Mrs. Dog and I were in about 20' of water, waiting for our third diver to finish gearing up. So I took off my fins and did poomsae Kicho Il Jang (Basic Form 1). It's a terrible performance. I'd fail a student who couldn't do better, but I wouldn't expect them to do it under water...

Feel free to laugh at me. :)

• Haha
Reactions: Speartip and SteveF
I had a rear window defrost contact break off, I soldered it back on with one of those pistol style soldering irons and some sort of unidentified electrical solder.

Then the next year the other one broke off and there is nothing I can do to get solder to stick like it did the first time. I even tried a blow torch, borrowing the same solder as last time and preheating the whole rear window with a hair dryer.

My next solution was to use a neodymium magnet to stick it to the window with a magnet on the other side but it turns out that heat from soldering demagnetizes neodymium...

• Wow
Reactions: mrjp