What's the best oil and how often should I change it?

Ethan2016

New to the Jeep world. I have a 2008 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4X4 Unlimited. What’s the best oil for my oil change? How often should I change it? Thank you

Use any oil you would like, they're literally all the same. Synthetic has it's advantages, but you aren't going to see any of them in my opinion unless you've swapped in a Ferrari engine (or some other high performance engine).

As for how often, I would say every 5k miles. The 3k mile thing is B.S. and has been debunked. I change mine every 5k and check it every 1000 miles or so just to make sure it's not low. You'll particularly want to check the oil regularly on your 3.8, as those engines in the earlier JKs are known to burn a lot of oil.

But in terms of oil, take your pick. Valvoline, Penzoil, Castrol, etc. Literally all the same and you won't notice a single thing from running any brand.

I usually change mine every spring. I can’t see an advantage to synthetic. I’ve used 5 W 30 that happened to be on sale, as long as met MIL specs

I’m a believer in synthetic oils benefits and I do believe they offer better engine protection than conventional oil. I had a 1990 Z71 that was my work truck, bought new in 1990 sold in 2006 with over 896,000 miles. It never tasted conventional oil unless it was in it from the factory. All my vehicles run synthetic.

• Wow
Reactions: Mikester86