What tires will work with stock wheels?

Tahdi

I’m looking to put a lift kit (probably 2.5”) and larger tires (probably 33”) on my 2012 JK. I have 17” now. I’ve seen posts saying that it won’t work due to backspace and others that say it will with a lift kit. I know that one upgrade leads to another. Lol. I was just hoping to avoid purchasing new wheels. Your thoughts? Thanks!

Last edited:
With a 2.5" lift you won't want to go larger than 33". However, do you plan on running a narrow 33" (285), or a wider 33? If you went with a narrow 33" they will fit with very, very minimal rubbing (only at very, very sharp full lock turns). With a wider 33" (12.5"), you'll probably want a new wheel with the appropriate backspacing (around 5.2").

Reactions: Tahdi
With a 2.5" lift you won't want to go larger than 33". However, do you plan on running a narrow 33" (285), or a wider 33? If you went with a narrow 33" they will fit with very, very minimal rubbing (only at very, very sharp full lock turns). With a wider 33" (12.5"), you'll probably want a new wheel with the appropriate backspacing (around 5.2").
Thanks! Would the 12.5 work with a 3” lift?

I can attest that 285 70 r17s will not fit on a jeep with stock wheels. They come to 32.7 x 11.2.

This has nothing to do with lift kits. The backspacing on stock wheels do not allow you to even put the tires on. (One guess on how I know this) Front tires might have been fine, but we started on the back and then had to put the old tires back on until I picked up new rims. The wider tires impacted the stuff behind the wheel.

It was pretty close, so a 33 x 10.5 might fit, but I don't know.