What size tires?

Pierce168

Hello everyone!

I'm new to this forum. I have a 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon manual with the 3.8l garbage engine. Here's my question: I currently have 32" tires (255/75R17) and I want to get some new mud terrain tires and I'm looking at getting 33s or 35s. I have 1.5" hub-centric billet aluminum wheel spacers and new wide open fenders to accept bigger tires. I'm still on stock suspension with no lift but I have a LOT of room for bigger tires. I'm wondering if I can fit the 35s no problem or if i should stick with the 33s. Also, I've noticed that the rear bumper barely has anymore room for a bigger tire (maybe half an inch of space left). What size tires do you think i should get and also what should i do about the spare tire? Am I going to have to get a new rear bumper or is there something I can do to allow the new tire to fit above the bumper slot. Thank you!

Don't know why you don't like the 3.8 engine it seems to have alot less problems then the 3.6.

What gears do you have in your JK? If you go to big you might need to do a regear. You'll also have to recalibrate your speedometer.

A spare tire much over the stock size your tailgate won't be happy trying to hold it. If you plan on getting a aftermarket rear bumper then get one with a tire carrier on it.

You can get what ever size tires you want just may have to pay more to be able to use them.

Reactions: Daddyo2373
Thank you for the response. Can i ask the importance of a regear when I have a manual transmission? I understand I'm going to lose some power but I shouldn't have any binding. Thank you!

If your JK is like mine and have the 3.21's it won't like the 35's mine didn't. If your planning to offroad it will really be bad.

Reactions: FLCoastJK
With the Rubicon you should have 4:10 gears and will be fine with 35s. We have a 2010 Rubi, 35s, stock rear bumper. I had to buy a 1.5" spacer for the spare though. We do have a 2.5" lift though. I think you can get by with no lift but any major flexing it will scrub.
Yes, we have the 3.8 too but as stated above a lot less issues than 3.6. Is it as powerful, no but it has plenty of torque for offroading.

Reactions: mrjp and BLACKJKU
I have a 2016 rubicon with 1.5" lift and 33". They rub when I am offroading. No way you will fit 35s if you wheel whatsoever.

Proper wheel offset and fender trim (or flat fenders), and 35's fit on a 2dr. What you describe you have sounds like it will work (I don't *think* you'll need longer bump stops, but that is an option). Some Rubi's have 3.73 gears but most have 4.10"s. Living in Utah you may feel the need for gearing on the highway more than someone from Kansas, but you could probably live with it for a while.

If you keep the stock tire carrier by using a spacer, I REALLY recommend getting HD hinges for the tailgate, or (like has been mentioned), upgrade to a bumper mounted tire carrier.

Reactions: mrjp