What shocks for Teraflex 2.5 lift?

Barbrej

Stock shocks won't have the travel distance for the lift. I have that kit with the 9550 shocks and have been very happy with the ride quality.

Others can speak to the reason for not using the wrong size shocks, but it comes down to exceeding their limits. You may have a hard time even getting them back on. Best to just get shocks at the same time. Shocks to fit the lift kit is important.

For just driving around you should still be careful. The vast choices in shocks for Wranglers can hurt you in the fact that they are all 'tuned' for certain activities. Some are much stiffer than others and while good for offroad are a nightmare as a daily driver.

The ones I mentioned are cost, but good for DD, and you know you are getting the correct ones for the lift. The others mentioned are more expensive, but you will pay for it... if they are in stock. But that will be across the board so don't worry about that when choosing.

Look around at reviews and hopefully more chime in here with some budget ones that ride nice on the road.

Reactions: Barbrej
Thanks! Seems like it’s gonna cost roughly $1,000 for a 2.5 lift and shocks (based off teraflex). Guessing the $500-$600 rough country options are not the way to go?

A lot of people seem to not care for the Rough Country stuff, but I installed the RC 2.5" spacer kit at 10,000 miles and I now have 130,000 miles and have had no issues. I bought the kit that includes the extension brackets for the shocks and brake lines. It also came with longer sway bar links to be installed in the rear after moving the OEM links to the front. There was no caster correction, but I had it checked and it's within specs (just barely). I like that I was able to keep the original springs and shocks which maintains the factory ride.

Thanks! Seems like it’s gonna cost roughly $1,000 for a 2.5 lift and shocks (based off teraflex). Guessing the $500-$600 rough country options are not the way to go?
If you want it to ride like a wagon then sure. With RC, the name fits. Like I said, you get what you pay for with lifts. This is from experience. We have the RC 2.5" lift on ours and it is rough. I really wish we had saved that money and waited to add to it and get a better lift.

I got the kit I mentioned a couple years ago at around $800, unfortunately I doubt priced will drop again.

I have RC on my TJ and it's.. fine. Pretty hard to compare a 2 door 99 TJ to a 4 door 09 Rubicon, but I certainly prefer the ride quality of the 09 with teraflex shocks... but that is probably to do as much with the wheelbase as it is with the shocks.