What is this?

I would look around the dash for maybe a toggle switch.
No toggle switch, but I think I solved it. We bought this used and obviously don't know all that the previous owners have done. I know it has a tow bar installed in the front and a box you can clamp a ripcord on and attach the other end to your RV. The brake has a pully and braided cable on it so I know it can (or should) stop if it ever comes unattached while towing. I followed all wires and harnesses associate with the mystery part and they run to the box in front of the jeep, to the battery and into the cab to another box that is zip tied in place and says "Decelerator" on it. So, mystery part is a piece of the emergency tow brake package but what does it do, why is it disconnected and what should it be connected to?

IMG_7747.jpg

Reactions: mrjp
I bet you they had an auxiliary air horn... Someone already said it in here, but when I first saw the photo, I thought the same thing.

I was thinking of putting a dukes of Hazzard horn or train horn on my 72 Chevy truck and didn't pull the trigger, but when I was looking at them at the auto store (years ago), that's what the compressors looked like. And I bet they just did a good wiring-concealment job and bunched it with the power wires to the brake/towing/accessory bunch of wires.

Now... I may rethink it and might put a train horn in my truck now. Or, my Jeep and if I ever sell it, I'll make sure to tell the next care-taker, so they're not confused as hell.

I bet you they had an auxiliary air horn... Someone already said it in here, but when I first saw the photo, I thought the same thing.

I was thinking of putting a dukes of Hazzard horn or train horn on my 72 Chevy truck and didn't pull the trigger, but when I was looking at them at the auto store (years ago), that's what the compressors looked like. And I bet they just did a good wiring-concealment job and bunched it with the power wires to the brake/towing/accessory bunch of wires.

Now... I may rethink it and might put a train horn in my truck now. Or, my Jeep and if I ever sell it, I'll make sure to tell the next care-taker, so they're not confused as hell.
It actually is part of the RV/towing brake system. I found where someone teed off the brake booster hose as described in the instructions. It has since been plugged.

2. Cut the 3/8" or 1/2" I.D. hose from the engine to the brake booster and install the appropriate-sized T-connector. Install the appropriate-sized check valve between the engine and the T-connector. Make sure the flow arrow on the check valve is pointing toward engine.
3. Run the supplied vacuum pump tube from the vacuum pump to the T-connector. Connect the tube to the nozzle marked "In" on the vacuum pump. The nozzle marked "Out" will not have anything connected to it. Cut the tube to the appropriate length and attach to the T-connector.

It actually is part of the RV/towing brake system. I found where someone teed off the brake booster hose as described in the instructions. It has since been plugged.

2. Cut the 3/8" or 1/2" I.D. hose from the engine to the brake booster and install the appropriate-sized T-connector. Install the appropriate-sized check valve between the engine and the T-connector. Make sure the flow arrow on the check valve is pointing toward engine.
3. Run the supplied vacuum pump tube from the vacuum pump to the T-connector. Connect the tube to the nozzle marked "In" on the vacuum pump. The nozzle marked "Out" will not have anything connected to it. Cut the tube to the appropriate length and attach to the T-connector.
Hmm. I wonder if I have something buried in my engine like that. I do have a trailer brake system that was aftermarketed by a previous owner. I'll have to dig around.

Reactions: mrjp and Phil C
Hmm. I wonder if I have something buried in my engine like that. I do have a trailer brake system that was aftermarketed by a previous owner. I'll have to dig around.
Maybe. Check out my link above and look for similar parts. I found the solenoid on the inside of the firewall on the passenger side. Went to a supplier that are experts on this system. Company discontinued the unit and parts are very scarce. When I'm ready to tow behind our RV I'll have to get a whole new system.

This would be a breaking system for the jeep being towed by another vehicle like a RV.

Jeeps are one of the best vehicles to tow behind a rv. Transmission in park transfer case in neutral. Turn the key one click to unlock the steering wheel

Nice. I’m glad you figured it out! That would’ve bugged me.