What is the best product to clean / restore fenders?

Any of the back-to-black products they sell in stores work just fine. Here's an example of the one I use:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GZLMEN4/?tag=jkforum-20

Of course that is meant to restore faded black plastic to look like new. It will eventually wash off, so you have to get in the habit of applying it once a week or so.

If your plastic trim is brand new, you want to get in the habit of using this at least once a week:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KN0UOEE/?tag=jkforum-20

What that stuff does is applies a UV protective coat to the trim just like if you were to apply sunscreen to your body. It keeps the sun from fading the black plastic to begin with, and it really works! The key is however that you have to apply it from the time the plastic is new, that way it never gets exposed to the sun without this protective layer on it.

I use this stuff and it works wonders! Again though, it will not fix plastic trim that has already been faded from sun exposure.

My Wrangler is 2 years old, no fading yet but I cant seem to get dirt marks off of the fenders, I am thinking I need to find something to get them clean before using the 303 stuff? I have tried various products but they still look like stuff has been splashed on them. Any suggestions on what to use before the 303 stuff?

My Wrangler is 2 years old, no fading yet but I cant seem to get dirt marks off of the fenders, I am thinking I need to find something to get them clean before using the 303 stuff? I have tried various products but they still look like stuff has been splashed on them. Any suggestions on what to use before the 303 stuff?

Hmm, dirt marks on the fenders? Dirt would come off pretty easily with soap and water to be honest. Do you have any photos by chance?

I'm wondering if something was spilled on them that caused a chemical reaction (possible due to UV rays) and caused the plastic to discolor. I can't think of anything that soap, water, and elbow grease wouldn't get off.

You could always try some acetone.

Hmm, dirt marks on the fenders? Dirt would come off pretty easily with soap and water to be honest. Do you have any photos by chance?

I'm wondering if something was spilled on them that caused a chemical reaction (possible due to UV rays) and caused the plastic to discolor. I can't think of anything that soap, water, and elbow grease wouldn't get off.

You could always try some acetone.

F4DCAE00-D810-4CD4-B0B4-DC4EA43E36DC.jpeg

Oh man, I think I may be right. Those look almost like chemical spots that have discolored the plastic.

I'd try the back-to-black stuff first and see what happens. It lasts about a week before it comes off. I'd be interested to see if they are still there after it comes off.

I've used this product (Mothers Back to Black) with good results, but since my jeep is 7 years old, I do need to reapply it every 2 weeks or so, although I often get lazy and will do it less often, but overall, it works quite well.

You can also use the back-to-black products on the vinyl shutters on your house, regardless of color. Will restore that plastic and lasts a lot longer than it does on the Jeep. I put it on my shutters once a year and they always look brand new.
But, my house faces north and doesn't have the sun beating on them all day...

Reactions: Duster
You can also use the back-to-black products on the vinyl shutters on your house, regardless of color. Will restore that plastic and lasts a lot longer than it does on the Jeep. I put it on my shutters once a year and they always look brand new.

I need to try this!

I have always had good luck with Original Armour All. Spray it on wipe it off, severe fading may require two applications to get them real black. After that, apply once a month.

This might sound odd but it's been working for us. After washing the jeep. I would use a mixture of Black magic protectant & turtle wax protectant on all plastic parts. This has been doing very well and would last about 2 weeks.

If your plastic trim is brand new, you want to get in the habit of using this at least once a week:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KN0UOEE/?tag=jkforum-20

What that stuff does is applies a UV protective coat to the trim just like if you were to apply sunscreen to your body. It keeps the sun from fading the black plastic to begin with, and it really works! The key is however that you have to apply it from the time the plastic is new, that way it never gets exposed to the sun without this protective layer on it.

I use this stuff and it works wonders! Again though, it will not fix plastic trim that has already been faded from sun exposure.
Funny story, if you use enough of the 303 it will restore. :) Ask me how I know that. I used it on my TJ and it brought my fenders back from the grave. It involved a week straight of 2X daily applications, but it got there. I've got the "before" pic hanging out somewhere if I can find it, but this was phenomenal. Found it.

PXL_20220911_232006379 (1).jpg

PXL_20220320_185536153.jpg

Last edited:
Funny story, if you use enough of the 303 it will restore. :) Ask me how I know that. I used it on my TJ and it brought my fenders back from the grave. It involved a week straight of 2X daily applications, but it got there. I've got the "before" pic hanging out somewhere if I can find it, but this was phenomenal. Found it.

View attachment 122996

View attachment 122997
Yep, I've actually had similar results myself! I use it very liberally.

Reactions: mrjp