What is causing my 2012 JKU Sahara to have intermittent starting problems?

SaharaSailor

About a year ago, my 2012 JKU Sahara began not starting after being run. The key goes all the way over, but nothing. No click, no crank, NADA. 45 minutes to an hour later it cranks right up like nothings wrong. Not an issue when driving to work, but if stopping for less than an hour I either have to leave it idling or resign myself to a wait.

After several months had a buddy tell me his did the same thing and he pulled the M13 fuse out in the TIPM then replaced after a few minutes. This worked great for me for about a month. Then it started again. I pulled the fuse waited a few minutes then replaced, but this time it had no effect.

Over the past few months it's getting worse. Going from an hour between cranks to 3-4 hours. I'm inclined to think it's heat related, but it does it during winter too.

About a year ago, my 2012 JKU Sahara began not starting after being run. The key goes all the way over, but nothing. No click, no crank, NADA. 45 minutes to an hour later it cranks right up like nothings wrong. Not an issue when driving to work, but if stopping for less than an hour I either have to leave it idling or resign myself to a wait.

After several months had a buddy tell me his did the same thing and he pulled the M13 fuse out in the TIPM then replaced after a few minutes. This worked great for me for about a month. Then it started again. I pulled the fuse waited a few minutes then replaced, but this time it had no effect.

Over the past few months it's getting worse. Going from an hour between cranks to 3-4 hours. I'm inclined to think it's heat related, but it does it during winter too.

Have you tried jumping it at the stater to see if it starts? Have you checked to see if your getting power at the small terminal when key turned to start?

I have not. I'll try that next. If it works does that point to the battery or cables?

If it doesn't have power at the small terminal when the key is turned to start at the starter then it's a good chance it's the neutral safety switch, and if it's a automatic trans it's located inside the trans.

If you jump the small terminal at the starter and it starts then the starter is good, a remote starter switch works best for this.

Reactions: TROY66/68