What did I do to my tranny?

Joevano

I'm towing my jeep behind our motorhome. Yesterday I unhooked it for an errand and it won't go over 2K rpm. All gears work independently but will also will not downshift. My wife got in when we were unhooking it and thought it was in drive instead of neutral.

I'm towing my jeep behind our motorhome. Yesterday I unhooked it for an errand and it won't go over 2K rpm. All gears work independently but will also will not downshift. My wife got in when we were unhooking it and thought it was in drive instead of neutral.
I "four down" pull a 2016 JKU Sahara 4 door w/auto-transmission. Transmission has to be "in gear", as in "D" or "P" for example, and transfer case in Neutral. I believe manual transmissions can be in any gear (not neutral), with xfer case in Neutral. Any other combination might mean trouble. Can you determine what configuration you were actually in? I usually tow with Transmission in "P", and Xfer case in Neutral.

I had transfer case in neutral, transmission in drive. I usually have both in neutral. The fluid is nice and red and smells fine so I didn't burn anything.

Reading the manual, it does say to leave transmission in park but also says to disconnect the negative battery cable but that doesn't work since I have a braking system that needs to be powered.

Reading the manual, it does say to leave transmission in park but also says to disconnect the negative battery cable but that doesn't work since I have a braking system that needs to be powered.
I see the manual says "transmission in Park", which is probably why I do it that way. Maybe Drive isn't a good choice.
Would an FCA Jeep Wrangler dealer be able to answer your question? Are you near one?
My towing setup (BlueOx) has a charging line to the Wrangler battery.
Here's another thread that discusses towing without the transmission in Park.

Last edited: