What’s up w/ the poor-fitting carpet in our JK?

WestCoastDan

JK Enthusiast
I realize that our JKU is no beauty queen or fashionista, but it became very clear during our road trip that the carpet is simply too damned small.
The edges pull out from under the center console & almost every other piece of trim that is supposed to help keep it positioned.
It’s almost as if it shrank.

With that said, what options are others familiar with to replace it?

It’s either that, or I’m gonna glue this shit down! 😂

Reactions: Speartip
Armorlite or BedTred would be my 2 top choice alternatives.

To a certain extent, the carpet needs to be somewhat easy to pull up/out so you can get to the drain plugs

Pull out the carpet, then the seats. Sand it, wire brush would be ideal for rust and any stubborn looking foreign objects. Once all that is said and done. head to Auto Zone and get the Raptor Black textured finish liner. (Instructions included, easy to use) $150 kit and thats more than plenty for a JKU.(It comes with the brush gun but i recommend spend a little money at harbor freight and get a better one. you will thank me later for this) A trip to Harbor Freight will also help to pick up air compressor and hose and dont forget the brush gun. It is recommended to spray with 40-60 PSI. I did mine at 80 PSI because i wanted aggressive texture. do it in open ventilated area and wear a painters mask. you dont want to enhale that. Now you wont ever complaint about carpet and your jeep interior would be stronger and free of rust plus if water gets in you dont have to worry just pull the plug and call it a day.

• Dislike
Reactions: WestCoastDan
Pull out the carpet, then the seats. Sand it, wire brush would be ideal for rust and any stubborn looking foreign objects. Once all that is said and done. head to Auto Zone and get the Raptor Black textured finish liner. (Instructions included, easy to use) $150 kit and thats more than plenty for a JKU.(It comes with the brush gun but i recommend spend a little money at harbor freight and get a better one. you will thank me later for this) A trip to Harbor Freight will also help to pick up air compressor and hose and dont forget the brush gun. It is recommended to spray with 40-60 PSI. I did mine at 80 PSI because i wanted aggressive texture. do it in open ventilated area and wear a painters mask. you dont want to enhale that. Now you wont ever complaint about carpet and your jeep interior would be stronger and free of rust plus if water gets in you dont have to worry just pull the plug and call it a day.
This is an ABSOLUTE no…
It may be good for yours, but ours needs carpet.

I think this is a good option for trail only rigs . For DD it’s the last thing I would want to do IMHO.

I realize that our JKU is no beauty queen or fashionista, but it became very clear during our road trip that the carpet is simply too damned small.
The edges pull out from under the center console & almost every other piece of trim that is supposed to help keep it positioned.
It’s almost as if it shrank.

With that said, what options are others familiar with to replace it?

It’s either that, or I’m gonna glue this shit down! 😂

I’m wondering if you don’t have original carpet ?
Def a non issue in my 2008.
Door sills, kick panels , center console , top meets body in the rear all tucked up really well with no edge pull out .
You can probably get replacement threw Quadratech, Northridge etc etc or maybe even Amazon .

I’m wondering if you don’t have original carpet ?
Def a non issue in my 2008.
Door sills, kick panels , center console , top meets body in the rear all tucked up really well with no edge pull out .
You can probably get replacement threw Quadratech, Northridge etc etc or maybe even Amazon .
Sounds the case to me as well. Until I removed it for bedtred (more on this in a moment) The carpet was perfectly matched in my 2009.

I have huskies, so the carpet had to go, or it was just going to be husky colored all the time. I picked up bedtred the rubberized version, and while it's much easier to deal with than carpet, the fit is not good. I was careful to order the 2007 to 2010 version, but the modifications I had to do were annoying for the price, and I still have a ton of gaps all over the place.

I would consider Bedtred the budget option... along the lines of Harbor Freight, and I really wish I had sprung for the Armourlite. Especially considering with the gaps if water does get in, I have to prop up the tred so that it will dry underneath. Armourlite has it's own drain plugs and appears to have much better fit and finish.

Maybe the 2011 and new versions fit better, but for the older JKs, avoid.

Reactions: TROY66/68