Weird stalling question.

CGPro856

My 2011 3.8l manual JK Sport does something I’ve never see on any vehicle I’ve owned before. Occasionally I’ll let the clutch out too quickly with not enough throttle and the rpm’s will drop momentarily to just a couple hundred and feel like it’s going to stall out. On any vehicle I’ve had before, I’ll just push in the clutch a bit and hit the gas and the engine will rev right back up. Not this Jeep. If I push the clutch in and don’t touch the gas pedal, the engine will sit there and sputter at a couple hundred rpm’s forever but will never come back up to normal rpm. As soon as I hit the gas at all it will stall out. It restarts fine and idles and drives normal. Anyone else seen this behavior? Is it a wrangler thing or is there a fix?

Mine does the same thing. 2007. I blip the gas a little when that happens now and it's fine. Sometimes my battery/charging light will turn on and stay on, even if it doesn't stall. I just turn it off and on again.

I'm no expert on all of the new technology, but I figure this is due to the fact that these JK's are drive by wire.

I'm not sure, but I don't think there is a throttle cable hooked directly to the gas pedal.

I believe the gas pedal is just basically a switch that provides input to some kind of control board.

Then the control board gets to decide what it thinks the engine should do in response.

Either way, it seems like a bad design. It could be a real hazard if you were in a tight spot and this happened.