Weird sound in 4th 5th and 6th gears

Btd1200

I have a 2010 Jeep Islander. I have a ton of work done to it all by myself. I have a sound coming from just below the shifter. It only happens when I'm in 4th gear and above. It kinda sounds similar to the brake sensor when you need to replace the pads. I know it's not that...I have brand new pads. When I'm on the gas I hear it. As I let off the gas it seems to go away. I really want to figure it out. I have attached a video....you can hear it slightly in the video. Hopefully someone can push me in the right direction. Hoping it's not transfer case or Trans.

I'll have to try that. Has anyone changed the fluid and have this happen? I changed my trans fluid to royal purple and ever since then im getting this sound. I'm thinking about changing back to Mopar and see if the sound still happens.

I'll have to try that. Has anyone changed the fluid and have this happen? I changed my trans fluid to royal purple and ever since then im getting this sound. I'm thinking about changing back to Mopar and see if the sound still happens.

If it didn't make the noise before and it started doing it afterward then that has to be the problem.

Reactions: Lxxtsy and Vman

Did you check the fluid level in the trans with it at operating temp and in neutral? Of course be very careful with that, but the pump isn't engaged in park.

Procedure is also to shift through all gears before doing the check.

There was a nice recent post here regarding what ATF+4 fluids are approved but I don't know about the royal purple. May want to check that post and see if it's on there.

Found it.

Doesn't look like it's on the list.

Did you check the fluid level in the trans with it at operating temp and in neutral? Of course be very careful with that, but the pump isn't engaged in park.

Procedure is also to shift through all gears before doing the check.
This.
You're in cold weather, so keep in mind you should double check fluids at operating temps and there's a chance you don't have enough fluid.
And, of course, make sure you have the right fluid.

Reactions: mrjp and Lxxtsy
Well I took out the royal purple and put in the Mopar manual trans fluid. Took it for a spin and it still makes that noise. I'll check the fluid level when I get home from work. It will be at operating temp when I get home. Let everyone know what happens.

Reactions: mrjp and Vman