Water under carpet/Freedom Panel Leak help

mattybrass

I recently bought a new to me 2016 JKU Sahara and noticed that my carpet was pretty wet one day when adjusting my floor mats. So far I've found it under the driver and passenger side and the passenger back seat carpets. When driving in the rain or going through a car wash i haven't seen any water coming in however a couple times when driving after rain i can notice water dripping from the freedom panels, specifically the left, from "under" the L lock, I've noticed this after taking some turns so and i don't notice it if I'm driving and it starts raining or i go through a car wash. What's the easiest way to try to figure out the source so i can go back to the dealership if the seals need replacing? I've included a link of the freedom panel leak and photos of the seals

Jeep Water Leak

IMG_7076.jpg

IMG_7077.jpg

IMG_7093.jpg

IMG_7094.jpg

IMG_7095.jpg

IMG_7120.jpg

IMG_7155.jpg

IMG_7162.jpg

IMG_7168.jpg

IMG_7180.jpg

IMG_7183.jpg

IMG_7185.jpg

IMG_7299.jpg

IMG_7300.jpg

IMG_7301.jpg

IMG_7302.jpg

IMG_7303.jpg

IMG_7304.jpg

IMG_7305.jpg

IMG_7306.jpg

IMG_7307.jpg

IMG_7308.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7182.MOV
    22.6 MB
Sorry you’re dealing with that shyt. I had some water leaking into my foot wells that I didn’t know about till feeling around. Resolved it with a few videos I watched on YouTube. Best bet to buy any seals, in my opinion, is HomeDepot. Least it was for me. OE seals will likely leak again. I found that building on what I had yielded good results.

Wish ya success!

Last edited:
And the lock right over the rear view? You see the footman loop it tightens under? You can do one of 3 things to tighten it even more to keep water from dripping onto your head unit:
1. Cheapest, quickest and may not last as long: electrical tape or electrical shrink tubing around the loop so the lock tightens more than it does now.
2. Remove the footman loop and add a small washer between the loop and the top of the windshield frame to create the same effect as #1 above.
3. Remove the footman loop and, if you've got the tools, simply bend it a little. Not too much.

By the way, I'd strip all of the old weatherstripping off and, as threepointsix mentioned, get some new generic stuff at Home Depot or Lowes. Remember to strip and clean and get all the old glue off. I don't know how freedom panels will react to something like Goof Off or Goo Gone, but WD-40 and/or rubbing alcohol works just as well.

And, like Indominus said, tightening those rear threaded rods too much will only pull the front of the panels up, so torque wisely, my friend!

And the lock right over the rear view? You see the footman loop it tightens under? You can do one of 3 things to tighten it even more to keep water from dripping onto your head unit:
1. Cheapest, quickest and may not last as long: electrical tape or electrical shrink tubing around the loop so the lock tightens more than it does now.
2. Remove the footman loop and add a small washer between the loop and the top of the windshield frame to create the same effect as #1 above.
3. Remove the footman loop and, if you've got the tools, simply bend it a little. Not too much.

By the way, I'd strip all of the old weatherstripping off and, as threepointsix mentioned, get some new generic stuff at Home Depot or Lowes. Remember to strip and clean and get all the old glue off. I don't know how freedom panels will react to something like Goof Off or Goo Gone, but WD-40 and/or rubbing alcohol works just as well.

And, like Indominus said, tightening those rear threaded rods too much will only pull the front of the panels up, so torque wisely, my friend!
All of this advise, especially the too-tight threaded rods, has solved my leaking problem. Thanks, very much!