Used gears

Some people do use used gears but for no more then they cost new and the price it costs to have them installed new would be better.

You could put them in the For Sale section and mark them free, just pay for shipping or whatever.

Reactions: mrjp
Great!
What all should be saved? Just the ring gear and spider gears, right?
You can't reuse the crush washers, right? Or are they only used for the pinion shaft?

If your getting new carrier like I think you'll have to then just tell the Mechanic to put everything in a box. Then offer it all as a package deal, but shipping will be the killer that stuff is heavy.

That will work.
Yeah the shipping could be the killer.
Maybe some one not too far away will need them. We could meet half way.
My wife has a fusion that gets great gas mileage, and since you live up here in the North, you know how cabin fever can set in.
Sometimes a road trip is nice to break up the Winter doldrums.

Reactions: BLACKJKU
Early this morning we got your lake effect snow, just a dusting. Sun is out now and melted most of it. I'm holding out for the Blizzard

Great!
What all should be saved? Just the ring gear and spider gears, right?
You can't reuse the crush washers, right? Or are they only used for the pinion shaft?

Just the ring and pinion. Crush sleeves are one time use, and bearings don't really get reused. Shop that does the install may want to keep the spacers and stuff for test fittings.

If you're having your gears done, ask for a crush sleeve eliminator instead of the crush sleeve. Great option imho.

With the eliminator if you ever have to remove the yoke (like a new driveshaft install), or replace the seal you don't have to worry about affecting the pinion preload by torquing it too tight.

Just the ring and pinion. Crush sleeves are one time use, and bearings don't really get reused. Shop that does the install may want to keep the spacers and stuff for test fittings.

If you're having your gears done, ask for a crush sleeve eliminator instead of the crush sleeve. Great option imho.

With the eliminator if you ever have to remove the yoke (like a new driveshaft install), or replace the seal you don't have to worry about affecting the pinion preload by torquing it too tight.

I'll 2nd the eliminator but I doubt if a install Kit will come with it.

The parts are already on the way via drop ship. I'll be lucky to get every thing that's been ordered.
The timeline on parts ordering and delivery is very different than it was a couple years ago.
I'm almost afraid to utter the word for the reason given. If you know what I mean.

Reactions: BLACKJKU
I'll 2nd the eliminator but I doubt if a install Kit will come with it.

Yeah they probably don't. Most gear shops keep them in stock though and you just have to request them. I think I paid an extra $50 for both axles for mine.

Thinking about screwing up the pinion depth if I have to replace a seal makes me throw up in my mouth a little bit though, so was $50 well spent.

I don't have a high speed low drag torque wrench for checking rotational torque, and I suck with those beam style ones 🤪

Thanks for the tip. I will definitely see if they have them.
I am somewhat new to having my work done for me. I can't really reach over my head anymore.
That's what comes from 35 years of reaching up for work. I was an electrician.
It's a new experience to drop a vehicle off and wait for some one else to do the work. That being said, I never had the expertise or tools for installing gears or lifts any way.

Reactions: Vman
Thanks for the tip. I will definitely see if they have them.
I am somewhat new to having my work done for me. I can't really reach over my head anymore.
That's what comes from 35 years of reaching up for work. I was an electrician.
It's a new experience to drop a vehicle off and wait for some one else to do the work. That being said, I never had the expertise or tools for installing gears or lifts any way.

No judgement from me for sure. I also had a shop install mine.

I like being self sufficient too and did a lot of research to understand the process and figure out if it was something I could/wanted to do myself.

Found out it's one of those jobs that yeah I could do it...eventually. I knew it would be a really slow process and I didn't want to take that long. Would also need to buy tools I'd probably only use once. Didn't make sense in time or money saved to do it myself.

Plus I think my wife would kill me if she came home and found car parts in the oven.

Reactions: Claymore