USB port in center console stopped working

Otis175

I use the USB port in the center console to play Pandora through Apple CarPlay. It worked great until recently and now I get a USB error on my head unit. Does anyone have a fix for this?

Welcome to the forum. is this a USB directly from the stereo? My 2017 came with aftermarket stereo with USB port to connect to and it took a bit of messing around with the setup to get it to work with our android phones. I blame it on being a Kenwood. I can't tell you how often i've almost replaced it...

Yes. I have a Kenwood too. Is this a known problem? I'm plugging directly into the center console USB port. It's always worked until recently. I just did a firmware update which didn't help

I dont know if its a known issue as I said, I'm pretty fed up with this Kenwood. We use the USB to plug an IPod to and it works all the time. The phones are a different story. I cant stand the WEBLink app they force you to use either and bluetooth is hit or miss. Sorry i don't have more helpful info for you but good luck with your unit.

With an aftermarket system it is hard to say what the issue is.

Is this USB port imbedded in the stereo, or a separate place on the dash / console? It's not clear to me where it's located.

So as a first step, I would take some compressed air and blow out the USB port.

I'm guessing the head unit doesn't have a USB of it's own.

My suggestion stands. Clean the connections inside the port. The male end may not be able to fully seat. Youtube will have some suggestions on the best way to clean a USB port without making things worse.

Reactions: mrjp
We have an aftermarket Kenwood and we like it. No issues with the USB cable or Bluetooth connection. The issue we have is with the Android Car Play. Sometimes it works with my Samsung phone and sometimes not, but my wife's Google phone works every time.

Have you tried to update the software in the head unit. Go to the Kenwood website, plug in the model number and download the latest firmware. Put that on a USB drive and follow the instructions.

Depending on how old your phone is, Samsung doesn't have the best rep when it comes to keeping the phones updated. More recent ones are and android auto has received a number of updates in the last year or so. Firmware update to the head unit can't hurt.

Reactions: Daddyo2373 and mrjp