Upgrading my stock tires

WL704

The time has come to get new tires for my 2014 Sahara. I currently have the Bridgestone Dueler A/T and want to make a slight upgrade to something a little more aggressive, while sticking with and AT. I do a good bit of highway travel, trailer a boat back and forth to the lake, and the occasional off road adventure.

I have been looking at the BFG K02, Toyo Open Country AT3, Falken Wildpeak AT3 l, and General Grabber AT2. I will be putting them on the stock rims, and do not currently have a lift.

I’m looking for advice considering durability, cost, functionality, and looks.

I agree with Mike, BFG 33". But if you go with a 2.5 inch TeraFlex lift you could put BFG 35". I'm considering my next tire purchase the only problem is I need a back bumper to hold the 35". I don't want to put a 35" on my tailgate.

Like one purchase on a Jeep it affects other issues. If you go with bigger tires you need to update your Jeep's computer to address the bigger tires; shifting, odometer, etc.
Upgrade the back bumper to hold bigger tire because the tailgate can't handle tires over 33".

When thinking of your purchases you have to consider other things...

Can't wait to see what you decide. Pic of my Jeep w 2.5 inch TeraFlex lift w ARB front bumper w Smittybilt winch which adds around 400 lbs, which is why I needed the lift.

One purchase affects other purchases.....

96159594_10157546491555863_6437599838568710144_o.jpg

Reactions: Tahdi
As of right now, I don’t have plans to lift it. I am concerned that if I go with the 33 then when I put the boat trailer on it, it will start to rub on fenders. Have y’all ever had any issues with tire rub?

33s will not work with stock rims, especially if you are talking 33 12.5s won't even be able to put them back on the vehicle. Not enough backspacing.

My 285 70 r17 which are a bit thinner didn't fit. I've got the Wildpeak on mine as the guy I use can't get BFGs and I'm happy with them.

Use this site to give you an idea. Tiresize.com it works awesome, and if you go into different sections you can compare two tire sizes with visuals. I think the green sizes are ones that fit without issue.. maybe. Not sure.

Remember if you change tire size you change the speedometer, and more importantly, you change efficient shift points. Also, with a Sahara, I believe you got 18 inch wheels. If you catch the jeep upgrade bug, I highly suggest shifting to 17 inch wheels. More options, better offroading.

Really, if you are looking for the least amount of hassle, and just want a more aggressive looking tire, stick with the size you have and get the KO2s

Reactions: Daddyo2373
I've run both BFG KO2s and Goodyear Duratracs in about every terrain imaginable, and both perform exceptionally well. Having said that, I give a slight edge to the KO2, only because it's quieter on-road than the Duratrac in my opinion.

Reactions: Daddyo2373
I agree with Mike, BFG 33". But if you go with a 2.5 inch TeraFlex lift you could put BFG 35". I'm considering my next tire purchase the only problem is I need a back bumper to hold the 35". I don't want to put a 35" on my tailgate.

Like one purchase on a Jeep it affects other issues. If you go with bigger tires you need to update your Jeep's computer to address the bigger tires; shifting, odometer, etc.
Upgrade the back bumper to hold bigger tire because the tailgate can't handle tires over 33".

When thinking of your purchases you have to consider other things...

Can't wait to see what you decide. Pic of my Jeep w 2.5 inch TeraFlex lift w ARB front bumper w Smittybilt winch which adds around 400 lbs, which is why I needed the lift.

One purchase affects other purchases.....

View attachment 115994
Bad boy, what size are those tires?