Upgrading my brakes

Homebrew

Getting ready to pull my front axle in order to install a truss kit, while it’s out I want to make some improvements. I am adding terflex ball joints, replacing the wheel hubs as preventative maintenance since they are over 100k miles young and I’m running 37s now. I was just going to put new pads and rotors on but am now leaning towards the crown big brake kit. I’d like to replace the mc as well.

I have an 11 JKU, would adding a 12+ mc be beneficial? I know teraflex makes an aftermarket unit. I’ve heard the brake kit alone is a substantial difference over the stock set up. Any help on this is appreciated.

Since you must be mechanically inclined there is info on the Web about DIY big brakes, the parts are on a 2009 Dodge 1500.

I wished I would have put the big brake kit on mine so I could have know what the stock brakes were like. Everyone that's put them on says it's a must do especially if going with bigger tires.

I just installed the Crown Big Brake kit in the front and the Teraflex Big Brake kit in the rear. I have 35's and have never thought the brakes were "poor", just not "good", know what I mean? Well, wow! What a difference. I drove on the fronts for a little before I ordered the rears. The rears have had less of an impact, but I needed rear brakes. :) I have the J8 Master Cylinder and Brake Booster on back order, but even without that upgrade, it's made a huge difference. Yes, the fronts are Ram 1500's except for the caliper bracket. I have no idea who makes that.

The downside I see of the kit you mentioned @Chris is it looks like only slotted rotors? Not ideal for my style or terrain.

Man, what a difference.

Reactions: mrjp
I just installed the Crown Big Brake kit in the front and the Teraflex Big Brake kit in the rear. I have 35's and have never thought the brakes were "poor", just not "good", know what I mean? Well, wow! What a difference. I drove on the fronts for a little before I ordered the rears. The rears have had less of an impact, but I needed rear brakes. :) I have the J8 Master Cylinder and Brake Booster on back order, but even without that upgrade, it's made a huge difference. Yes, the fronts are Ram 1500's except for the caliper bracket. I have no idea who makes that.

The downside I see of the kit you mentioned @Chris is it looks like only slotted rotors? Not ideal for my style or terrain.

Man, what a difference.

You'd have to talk to Blaine who designs those kids, but I promise you that there's no one I know of who knows more about Jeeps and brakes this this guy, honest to god. That guy is the guru of Jeep brakes then then some. He wouldn't offer a product / solution unless it was top notch.

Reactions: Daddyo2373
I'm not saying they aren't top notch & have been impressed with his responses on the TJ forum on a variety of subjects. Based on my experiences, slotted rotors are better suited to a curvy road course than a rock strewn trail. YMMV.

..slotted rotors are better suited to a curvy road course than a rock strewn trail.

Just another reason we're going with powerstop as these are slotted and have hole drill through them. I'll never say we wont take a trail or two, but our travels would be more hard surface road course then gravel roads. I still have too much SCCA in my blood..

Reactions: mrjp and JerryD
..slotted rotors are better suited to a curvy road course than a rock strewn trail.

Just another reason we're going with powerstop as these are slotted and have hole drill through them. I'll never say we wont take a trail or two, but our travels would be more hard surface road course then gravel roads. I still have too much SCCA in my blood..
That's what's cool about Jeeps... we can build them the way we want them.

the area's I frequent have the area's I frequent have a lot of mud and water Crossings. Slotteds get gunked up with rocks and debris and frankly just wear out way too fast. Slotted rotors help with evacuating gases, especially with high performance pads. But most newer performance pads do just fine with plain rotors. Drilled rotors help with the heat, slots help with the gas.

As I said, for what I do, a smooth rotor with a big surface area and upgraded pads are all I really need.

Reactions: mrjp