Upgrading Head unit / speakers

tsetsefly1

JK Enthusiast
I had just finished my complete audio upgrade on my TJ and then sold it (of course) and now I'm back at square one with my JK. Everything is stock - it does have the Alpine sound system (Willy's Unlimited) but no sub and it's severely lacking. I'm not sure if the head unit doesn't have the power to run the speakers, or the speakers are junk. Either way.. I'm going to start with a new head unit.

Any suggestions on a head unit that will suffice? I do still want my steering wheel controls to work and my preference would be to also have Apple CarPlay included but not necessarily needed. I will be upgrading the speakers as well as adding a self powered sub (Rockford Fosgate PS-8). I don't want to mess around with adding an amplifier.

Appreciate any suggestions and input!!

I'm looking at a few different ones..

or
(not really sure the difference)

Wireless carplay

These are just a few of the ones I'm looking at. The only thing I really need is Apple Carplay compatibility. I'm also purchasing at least 4 new speakers (roll bar and dash, possibly roll bar tweeters too) and the PS-8 self powered sub so, trying to keep it reasonable so I don't get into too much trouble with my CEO/CFO (wife).