Underhood insulation and lighting options?

JimNH

JK Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I don't have the pad under the hood of my 2008 JK. I also don't have the underhood utility light. Anyone else have them? was the pad supposed to be there or is it optional? worth it?

what light do you have - LED? incandescent? Was the MOPAR one incandescent? best aftermarket option? build your own or modify OEM? Is or should there be a wiring harness connector for this somewhere? Thanks.

My JKU has a aftermarket hood so it has neither of them, I have no need to add either one of them. I carry a flashlight to use in a emergency which would be more useful then a under hood light in one spot.

I actually finally installed a light. A pair of inexpensive LED's - very bright actually.

IMG_4664.jpg

Reactions: JerryD and mrjp
I've had sport/X models and have never had the pad. It can help with NVH abatement, but really serves no other purpose. I can see the benefit of having underhood lighting at times, if it either has self-contained power or is switched via a plunger style switch if connected to the battery.

What lights did you use @JimNH ?

CZC AUTO 12V LED Exterior License Plate Tag Light, Interior Courtesy Dome/Roof Trunk/Cargo Underhood Lamp, Total 12 White SMD Bulb, Legal for Car Truck RV Trailer (White light, 2 Pack)​

look for these on Amazon. I tried to put in a plunger switch, but could not figure out the best place to put it on the jeep.

Reactions: mrjp and JerryD