Under-Floor Storage

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Not my Jeep, but a helpful post I found from the past on another forum:

I have seen this done before, but with a wood frame.
I wanted to keep the weight to a minimum, so I used steel studs; much more fun to work with.
Most things I always carry will fit under the cover. Larger items will fit if placed in the original depression in the floor. This arrangement keeps things out of sight. Looking in through the window, the back appears empty.
I still have to bolt it down, (will use rivnuts in the tub floor), and install a lock.
I'll show the finished product first, then some construction pics.

01FloorInstalled.jpg

02FloorStorage.jpg

03FloorHalfFlat.jpg

Sliding the front seats all the way forward will allow the two headrests to go flat, too. Plenty of room to lay out a sleeping bag, or an inflatable mattress.
04FloorFullFlat.jpg

The dimensions of the frame allow it to sit flat on the floor, between the raised portion at the fender well bases. This leaves some room along the sides for small items.
05Frame.jpg

06FrameJoint.jpg

07CoverAttached.jpg

08ReadyForCarpet.jpg

The two floor extensions, seen here folded back onto main box, are hinged to the top cover.
09.jpg

10-1.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

I installed a riv-nut in each side, at the tailgate end of the frame. You'll see where in another picture.
1Riv-NutInstalled.jpg

A spacer at each bolt location makes up for the carpet thickness.
2SpacerToCompensateForCarpet.jpg

All four bolts installed; two pictured here. The bolts and riv-nuts on the front end of the frame, close to the rear seats, were already there for the original tie downs. The riv-nuts I installed are under the sides of the frame, close to the tailgate.
3FrameBoltedDown.jpg

This view shows one extension, and how it rests on the extra frame member, taking the load off the hinges. You can see some useable storage space in the gap between the seat and floor.
4ShowingRoomUnderExtension.jpg

This picture shows how the headrest will fold flat when the front seat is moved forward, giving plenty of room to lay out an air mattress.
5HeadrestFoldedDown.jpg

The jack and tools are accessible without having to open the storage box; handy if you get a flat when the cargo floor is loaded.
6AccessToJackCompartment.jpg

This picture shows the jack compartment covered.
7JackCompartmentCovered.jpg

The last task related to this project is to figure out a nice locking system for it.

Finished the lock for the under-floor storage.

I found the lock at a local lock shop. No part number or description. It was just in a sealed plastic bag with some hardware; $12.

Lock1.jpg

Lock2.jpg

Lock3.jpg

Lock4.jpg

Lock5.jpg

Lock6.jpg

Lock7.jpg

This THE BEST example of false floor storage. And I've read them all. The sheet metal is much lighter than wood. Easy to assemble with a simple rivet gun. And the best design imho. Great post.

Reactions: tJKrider