Un-Official word: '3.6 dropping like flies'

Um... it's not one of the problems that show up here that I'm aware of. The oil cooler, and just how annoying the engine is to work on. But cracked head?

Anyone else?

I forget the fault code, (don't want to "know it" actually 🙈) but it's certainly been an issue with various JK's. Maybe more on the other 'wrangler' forum. I forget, because I often surf there too for JK info since it is quite robust for that gen. Where as for my TJ, I strictly surf Chris's other site, wranglertjforum because it's legit the best.

I honestly thought the video would have mentioned the more common 3.6 tick rather than the warping heads. I also have a friend who's 2017 Willys passanger head was replaced under warranty (lucky him) due to an issue with the head.

I enjoy this guy's channel and appreciate his opinion. What does the community think? 😂

He's wrong about a number of things. The Pentastar is not a "Fiat engine," isn't made by Fiat, and was introduced in 2011 before the two companies merged in 2014. Also there are reviews like this, https://www.motorreviewer.com/engine.php?engine_id=167. The earlier builds, 2011-2013 were known for a head problem on the left side according to the above. That was corrected and even had an extended warranty added. Another fact that may have variable meaning is that the Renegade is made in Italy (my wife has one), but the Wranglers are made right here in the US. The VIN will identify what country and factory.

Here's a guy who's always addressing tick issues in clients 3.6 equipped vehicles. Talks about it quite regularly and says that gen 3 of the Pentastar is the most refined:

Reactions: Duster
I dunno.... my 2014 engine has been nothing but easy.
The only issue I've had was the thermostat going south. No ticks, no knocks and JScan says the same thing my doctor does- "everything is well within the norm. Now, just bend over the exam table here and drop your pants."

Reactions: mrjp and Largehit71
The driver side head problem is so common that my local dealer stocks them. The warranty did get extended until 150k miles or ten years. Multiple misfire codes are the main symptom, with miss and low compression on the affected cylinder.

I enjoy this guy's channel and appreciate his opinion. What does the community think? 😂

While they've certainly had their issues with valve seats overheating and causing problems, there's still 10 million pentastars that have been stuck in vehicles since 2011.

It's no Honda or Toyota in terms of reliability, but it's no slouch either and is a solid above average engine.

Keep in mind that the "Wizard" specializes in BMW's, VW's, Audi's, and other cars that rank at or near the bottom in terms of reliability.

While they've certainly had their issues with valve seats overheating and causing problems, there's still 10 million pentastars that have been stuck in vehicles since 2011.

It's no Honda or Toyota in terms of reliability, but it's no slouch either and is a solid above average engine.

Keep in mind that the "Wizard" specializes in BMW's, VW's, Audi's, and other cars that rank at or near the bottom in terms of reliability.
Exactly this.

Add onto that the tendency for Wranglers to be kept on the road long after almost any other make is sent to the scrap heap. People will even pull a wrangler out of a scrap heap. I'm pretty sure, at least in part, this is where they get the "not reliable" sticker. They aren't any worse than other vehicles out there, and better than some.

But just like any make, avoid the first year of a refresh. 2012(JK), 2018(JL) etc.

Reactions: Vman
Exactly this.

Add onto that the tendency for Wranglers to be kept on the road long after almost any other make is sent to the scrap heap. People will even pull a wrangler out of a scrap heap. I'm pretty sure, at least in part, this is where they get the "not reliable" sticker. They aren't any worse than other vehicles out there, and better than some.

But just like any make, avoid the first year of a refresh. 2012(JK), 2018(JL) etc.

Yup mine was a rescue Jeep. Even after replacing a ton of gaskets, seals, bumpers, random parts, suspension, regearing, entire steering system, flooring system etc I still paid less. I could put a new 3.8 and trans in it and still pay less than a newer model.....and I have brand new better than OEM stuff. The engine has like 160k on it but still has great compression.

When you really dive into the reliability ratings for these it's usually electronics, steering and comfort issues. It's true that the TIPM model Chrysler uses is a pain in the a$$. On the other hand, customer satisfaction for Wranglers is extremely high.

I think a lot of it is people don't know what they're doing, put on mods/lifts, and then have problems. I've seen a lot of Jeeps in lots that have been lifted wrong or you can tell just didn't have anyone doing maintenance on it (like mine was).

Just fyi. I know it's an old thread. I just researched the shit out of this prior to purchasing a 2012 JKU.

In 2014 the head and rocker/lifter issues were fixed. But 2011 to 2013 with the new 3.6 had both issues. Not every engine. But enough that the warranty on the head issue for those years was extended to 10yr/150k. Mine missed the 10yr extension by 3 months. Lol. May he an issue in the future idk.

This is why if you need a used engine do not buy 2011 thru 2013. Only 2014+. By time you replace the head, and rocker/lifters it's cheaper to buy a low mile 2014+ used engine.

Not every 2011- 2013 had the head problem. But most all had the rocker/lifter problem. The rockers were substandard parts. And the pivot pin would give out. Causing the rocker to grind into the camshaft over time. And eventually destroying your engine.

So as soon as you hear ticking in your 2011-2013 replace the rocker/lifters. (This is while its running. Not the normal no oil chatter at start up. Thats a separate issue. That can be solved with an aftermarket part.) There is a quicker way to replace the rocker/lifters. Detailed in a yt video. Cuts it from 10hrs to 3hrs iirc.

And make sure to check which oem rocker and lifters are the most recent part number. As prior ones were the substandard ones. This is apparently true of any oem part. You need to check that you are buying the most recent iteration of that part. I doubt dealers sell the older ones. But private companies may have them laying around. The original rocker/lifters from 2011 to 2013 were complete crap. They basically just fall apart.

Reactions: Duster
Just fyi. I know it's an old thread. I just researched the shit out of this prior to purchasing a 2012 JKU.

In 2014 the head and rocker/lifter issues were fixed. But 2011 to 2013 with the new 3.6 had both issues. Not every engine. But enough that the warranty on the head issue for those years was extended to 10yr/150k. Mine missed the 10yr extension by 3 months. Lol. May he an issue in the future idk.

This is why if you need a used engine do not buy 2011 thru 2013. Only 2014+. By time you replace the head, and rocker/lifters it's cheaper to buy a low mile 2014+ used engine.

Not every 2011- 2013 had the head problem. But most all had the rocker/lifter problem. The rockers were substandard parts. And the pivot pin would give out. Causing the rocker to grind into the camshaft over time. And eventually destroying your engine.

So as soon as you hear ticking in your 2011-2013 replace the rocker/lifters. (This is while its running. Not the normal no oil chatter at start up. Thats a separate issue. That can be solved with an aftermarket part.) There is a quicker way to replace the rocker/lifters. Detailed in a yt video. Cuts it from 10hrs to 3hrs iirc.

And make sure to check which oem rocker and lifters are the most recent part number. As prior ones were the substandard ones. This is apparently true of any oem part. You need to check that you are buying the most recent iteration of that part. I doubt dealers sell the older ones. But private companies may have them laying around. The original rocker/lifters from 2011 to 2013 were complete crap. They basically just fall apart.
Well that explains a lot regarding the lifters in my 2012 JKU. Do you have a link to the YouTube video you referenced?