Transmission slipping?

area51-s4

I recently had my oil cooler replaced, about two weeks ago. I went back to the mechanic yesterday cuz they wanted to double check everything is ok, which they said it was, though they suggested I get a transmission service (diagnostic, flushing) because it looks like a lot of wear n tear underneath, and stuff looked old? It was hard to understand the dude cuz i think english wasnt his first language. My rig has a lot of miles on it, 159k.

i went to AAMCO and scheduled for them to do a diagnostic. Thankfully they work with Carshield.

So anyway, dude at AAMCO told me my transmission is slipping based on this issue I described: I live near a steep hill, and when I go up it from a full stop (theres a traffic light at bottom) it seems to stay in 2nd gear way longer then it should as it hits 3k rpms, going about 20 mph. But if i am already at 20mph+ in 2nd gear when driving up this hill from the bottom (as opposed to from a full stop) it doesnt have any issue popping into 3rd gear, no high rpms doing so. There is an exception ive experienced on the highway with cruise control, being in 4th gear going up a slight incline hill and the rpms went up to around 5k trying to maintain the cruise control speed before popping into 5th gear. Happened twice so far.

Does this issue sound related to transmission slipping? And are there other things to look out for, like shitty service tactics or unneeded fixes that are commonly put forth at places like AAMCO?

Sry for the long post.

TLDR : could high rpms going up a hill in a low gear indicate transmission slippages

I recently had my oil cooler replaced, about two weeks ago. I went back to the mechanic yesterday cuz they wanted to double check everything is ok, which they said it was, though they suggested I get a transmission service (diagnostic, flushing) because it looks like a lot of wear n tear underneath, and stuff looked old? It was hard to understand the dude cuz i think english wasnt his first language. My rig has a lot of miles on it, 159k.

i went to AAMCO and scheduled for them to do a diagnostic. Thankfully they work with Carshield.

So anyway, dude at AAMCO told me my transmission is slipping based on this issue I described: I live near a steep hill, and when I go up it from a full stop (theres a traffic light at bottom) it seems to stay in 2nd gear way longer then it should as it hits 3k rpms, going about 20 mph. But if i am already at 20mph+ in 2nd gear when driving up this hill from the bottom (as opposed to from a full stop) it doesnt have any issue popping into 3rd gear, no high rpms doing so. There is an exception ive experienced on the highway with cruise control, being in 4th gear going up a slight incline hill and the rpms went up to around 5k trying to maintain the cruise control speed before popping into 5th gear. Happened twice so far.

Does this issue sound related to transmission slipping? And are there other things to look out for, like shitty service tactics or unneeded fixes that are commonly put forth at places like AAMCO?

Sry for the long post.

TLDR : could high rpms going up a hill in a low gear indicate transmission slippages

Do you have stock tires on the Jeep yet?

If you have taller tires then stock did you recalibrate the speedometer?

If you have to tall of tires did you change the gears in the axles?

These things can cause transmission issues with a Automatic trans.

Reactions: BigAL07
Do you have stock tires on the Jeep yet?

If you have taller tires then stock did you recalibrate the speedometer?

If you have to tall of tires did you change the gears in the axles?

These things can cause transmission issues with a Automatic trans.
2014 jku, im the 7th owner and it was a repo so i had to discover myself (as a new Used jeep owner) what was aftermarket / added

It had /has aftermarket wheels and 35" x 12.50 tires on it. I reprogrammed the speedometer myself because the mph didnt seems to match my speed but i dont know the gearing. Was going to do that highway test to see where the rpms are at 70mph to see what gearing it may be according to this chart. Just havent got to it yet. I suspect its 4.56 or up

signal-2023-09-13-04-49-51-341.jpg

Might pay off to see what your gears are before spending money on a trans.

If you haven't changed/inspected the gears to make sure there isn't water or broken pieces in there I would suggest to pull the cover and look.

The edge of the ring gear will usually have the tooth count stamped on it.

You can just jack up the rear, rotate the tire one turn, and count the number of turns the driveshaft makes...

Reactions: BigAL07

Sry for the long post.

It certainly sounds that way. On a manual I would be having a look at the clutch plate, but automatics are a whole different world.