Transmission jerk when downshifting automatic transmission

blk00xjc

I’ve been getting a hard jerk when the Jeep downshifts. It’s almost like the shift is delayed and then it jams into gear.

2010 Jeep Wrangler unlimited

An aftermarket trans oil cooler if the fluid change doesn't work. I've used these on a few vehicles in the past to great success. Cheap and easy to install. Greatly increasing the life of your trans. Especially the 4 speeds that came with the 3.8.

Reactions: Chris and mrjp
An aftermarket trans oil cooler if the fluid change doesn't work. I've used these on a few vehicles in the past to great success. Cheap and easy to install. Greatly increasing the life of your trans. Especially the 4 speeds that came with the 3.8.
Thanks. I can try that. We also looked at if the fluid pump wasn’t functioning at 100%. I assume that’s related as well.

X2 to all of the above, that's where to start.

A transmission cooler is an absolute must for these things, especially if you want to dramatically increase the lifespan of your transmission.

X2 to all of the above, that's where to start.

A transmission cooler is an absolute must for these things, especially if you want to dramatically increase the lifespan of your transmission.

Thanks all. What’s a good tranny cooler?

Holy crap Chris, it may be nice but that is a huge chunk of change, and is quite a way towards an actual rebuild.
After digging around I realize that "for jeep" ones are at least double the price if not triple. what is the advantage of those over a $90 one from orielly's?

to OP, there is nothing overly complicated about a trans cooler. It is simply a radiator for your transmission oil. You can go all in like the one Chris posted or go to Orielly's and spend less on a cheap one that will do the same thing.

I've never done this on a jeep, but it was super important to do on the vehicle I used when I delivered mail out in the countryside. 400 + stops over the course of 5 hours on the road tends to annoy brakes and trans. I used the cheapest one from the auto shop in that small town and the effect was immediate and amazing. The install was quick and dirty, so this is not a precision thing. You are just cooling the oil down a bit. I spent $30 on a small one.

The stock way this happens is that it is run through the radiator. This means that it is going to be at least as hot as the coolant. So the aftermarket cooler gets installed after the radiator before it goes back to the transmission, otherwise it is pointless.

So to conclude, in choosing one, take some measurements behind the grill and get the biggest one that fits. width height and depth. There is no reason to break the bank.

I have a 2015 Rubicon 116,000 mi that down shifts hard from 5th to 4th gear going up a hill. It just started this. This is a one owner vehicle and is always freeway miles driven. It does have the transmission cooler and the temperature has never gotten above 168. It does not down shift like this all the time just about once or twice a week with daily driving. It's annoying. Anybody have the same problems help. This is my wife's favorite vehicle

Hello Rambo. Same exact happens to my Wrangler Sahara Unlimited 2014. Recently acquired. It's just below 200k KM (we do kilometers in Canada), abt 123K miles. I have recently had the Chrysler dealership flush the ATF, flush the Transfer Case Fluid, change the tranny filter and gasket. The issue persists. Just like in your case: meaning, not all the time, but occasionally. It occurs when downshifting from the 5th to the 4th when going uphill. Cheers, Mr. T.

Last edited: