Transmission issue?

Superjeep1203

Hello all,
New to this but have an issue. Found some black grease in my inner driver fender and on bottom side of driver door. Everything seems to be driving fine but does anyone know what to look for? Only area I found grease was near transmission. Attached pictures. Any knowledge would be greatly appreciated

2550FC7E-C0BA-47E1-8B8B-19CF9D78A824.jpeg

0222CC72-EEFD-4A8D-8807-8B2C78089FF8.jpeg

I would first check the backside of the rocker covers near the firewall. They have a tendency to leak and drip down where the motor and transmission join. There are other possibilities, however check this first before looking deeper.

Reactions: Superjeep1203
I would first check the backside of the rocker covers near the firewall. They have a tendency to leak and drip down where the motor and transmission join. There are other possibilities, however check this first before looking deeper.
Thank you! Does everything in the pictures look normal? Seems like something is off

All looks as it should from the pics you provided. I doubt you will see any change in you motor oil level. It takes very little oil to make a mess or coat something. Again, check the back side of the engine on top behind the rocker covers, you might find the source of your leak. It doesn't take much oil to look like a lot of oil😏

All looks as it should from the pics you provided. I doubt you will see any change in you motor oil level. It takes very little oil to make a mess or coat something. Again, check the back side of the engine on top behind the rocker covers, you might find the source of your leak. It doesn't take much oil to look like a lot of oil😏
Thank you 👍. Appreciate the help, wasn’t quite sure what I was looking at

Could be a rear main seal leak, which is a powertrain warranty item (mine went bad at 65k miles). That leak is messy and looks a lot worse than it is. You won't lose enough oil to notice a difference at the dipstick unless you don't address the issue.

Could be a rear main seal leak, which is a powertrain warranty item (mine went bad at 65k miles). That leak is messy and looks a lot worse than it is. You won't lose enough oil to notice a difference at the dipstick unless you don't address the issue.
That’s what I thought it could have been but I figured I would have noticed a lot more oil around that area.

Very rare on JKs to have the RMS leak.
In the older versions like the TJs are common.
But it is a good possibility on Superjeep1203 because of the spot where the leak is.
I have a jk, would there be a bigger mess or would I be able to substantially tell if there was a rms leak?

When you park it at the end of the day put a piece of card board under the area and in the morning look for oil on the card board then straight up. Will let you know where it may be coming from, RMS would be the small opening in bottom of bellhousing.

Reactions: mrjp
Rear mains have a tendency to get worse over time/mileage. I would clean the area as best you can, keep cardboard under your jeep as mentioned, and try to pinpoint the source. Don't go to deep or jump to worse case scenarios until you have located the sorce of the leak. There are other possibilities, I hesitate to mention with out knowing the source, i.e. front main on trans, and oil filter housing. Keep a simple focused approach and you'll find the oil leak.

Which engine is that? The oil cooler on earlier 3.6's have a tendency to crack if some wrench monkey torques the oil Filter cap too tight. Oil pools in the valley and, once enough is there, will drop down the back of the engine on acceleration. Take a dowel and poke it in the crevasses of the valley towards the back and see if you have oil on the tip. When mine was bad, there was probably a 1/4" in certain spots.