Torque and bolt sequence for head bolts intake bolts and more

rbrew

I am removing the head on my 2007 jeep wrangler to remove a broken exhaust manifold bolt that is inaccessible without removal. I am looking for information on torque specs and sequences if necessary for head bolts, intake bolts, rocker arm shaft bolts, exhaust manifold bolts, valve cover bolts, and intake manifold bolts. Where could a get this info? Thanks

You would be able to find all that information the FSM (Factory Service Manual):

They aren't cheap. You may be able to find a pirated copy somewhere, but I haven't found one yet.

Thanks for the info. I did see a set of books for about $300 also, but I was trying to avoid that expense for a hopeful one time repair. I believe I have managed to piece together enough info online from posts made and info from websites on other vehicles with the same engine. I was hoping I just overlooked that $30 book that has all of the info I needed in one convenient place!

The pattern depends on the engine type. With a V-6 you start the four bolts closest to the middle middle of the head, tightening in an "x" pattern (e.g. near right, far left, near left, far right) then repeat with the outer four. I would do that in two or three repeat stages to be sure there's no distortion as you bring the bolts to torque. You can find instructions and basic information on removing and installing the intake head and exhaust manifold(s) in Chiltons or Haynes (Wrangler 1987 - 2017). The FSM will be more complete, but way more expensive.

There was a link to a copy on JKOwners, but that link doesn't work any longer. There is this also:
https://www.onlymanuals.com/jeep/wrangler. You'll have to search the year. The site isn't really well organized, and prices are in Euros.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrjp
If you trust Chiltons & the like, local library districts often have repair manuals online, just need a membership card. Also, I've used ALL DATA DIY - www.alldatadiy.com in the past which I've found to be *fairly* good. Check out this guys video for some other resources, but I agree with Chris, the FSM is the way to go.

Reactions: Duster and mrjp