Too much tire showing?

J SWIL

I'll try to keep this as short as I can. We are getting ready to upgrade from the stock wheels and tires on our JKU, 2010. I have a 2.5" lift to install and we are planning on 285/70R17's on 17x9 rims with a 5" backspace, 0 offset. can also go with a 17x8 that would have a 4.89 backspace so I'd like your opinions on that. The recommendation is that we have a 4.5 or less backspace so that is a little bit of a problem with these rims (Mama really likes these wheels and it's her toy too) and as a result, I went ahead and did what I said that I wasn't going to do and bought 1.5" wheel spacers. Keep in mind that I don't have the wheels and tires yet, today I went ahead and installed the wheel spacers according to directions and then put my stocks back on thinking that in a couple weeks when I tackle the lift, I will check the torque on the spacers and then again when I get the new wheels and tires. The spacers made a nice improvement to the looks of a mostly stock Rubicon as it pushed the tires (255/75R17 Firestone) right out to the edge of the fenders. Now I am worrying that if I go forward with the original plan that my new setup will probably have the tires pushing out about 2 1/2" past the fenders. Not sure if that's going to look right, your opinions please? Pics too if you have a similar setup. Thanks in advance.

I run 315/70R17 tires with a 5.25" backspacing wheel and it is spot-on perfect.

You'll have a little bit more tire showing, but I don't think that's going to be an issue as it won't be too much and should look just fine.

Reactions: J SWIL
I guess I have to ask, how are you making that work without rubbing anywhere or are you running spacers?
I run 315/70R17 tires with a 5.25" backspacing wheel and it is spot-on perfect.

You'll have a little bit more tire showing, but I don't think that's going to be an issue as it won't be too much and should look just fine.

I might add that some states I hear have a law that says a tire can't stick out past the fender very much. I know i've seen tires sticking out 3-4" on some vehicles, any stones that are in the tread will come out sometimes and they will be like a bullet when they do.

Reactions: J SWIL
here is a tool for playing around with. The whole site is pretty nice, though I've never purchased anything here. Just the tools

Offset Calculator

My math here says you should be fine without the horrible spacers. I run that size tire with a -6mm offset / 6 inch. You can plug your numbers into the site above and look at the visuals. The only issue I had with mine was the Air dam, and I don't remember at what point in the lift of the couple lift kits that was a problem. I think it was when I just had a leveling kit, though the 2.5 I have now probably wouldn't make a difference.

Last edited:
here is a tool for playing around with. The whole site is pretty nice, though I've never purchased anything here. Just the tools

Offset Calculator

My math here says you should be fine without the horrible spacers. I run that size tire with a -6mm offset / 6 inch. You can plug your numbers into the site above and look at the visuals. The only issue I had with mine was the Air dam, and I don't remember at what point in the lift of the couple lift kits that was a problem. I think it was when I just had a leveling kit, though the 2.5 I have now probably wouldn't make a difference.
Thanks for the tool. I guess my math was pretty spot on but this was WAY easier than drawing pictures and doing the math on the back of a cardboard box 😂

Reactions: Wunfeather
I guess that what I am not following is why they are recommending wheel spacers when using both my figures and the visualizer, my tires and rims both will gain over an inch of room on the inside, unless the lift will affect that a little?

I guess I have to ask, how are you making that work without rubbing anywhere or are you running spacers?

It simply isn't needed. There is a reason that AEV sells their wheels in 5.2" backspacing, because it is ideal for up to a 37" tire.

I've never had any issues with rubbing.

Taken from that page:

"They have a JK specific offset, which provides the optimal balance of tire clearance (up to 37″ tires), scrub radius and handling."

They may say this to avoid rubbing on the air dam... maybe. Or they are saying that because some people put super wide tires on or something. Regardless, the lift has little to do with the amount of backspacing you need. A lift gives you more vertical travel. The width of the tire is the thing that causes it to rub on the internal parts.

You should be fine. Keep us in the loop and we expect picture!!!

Reactions: mrjp and J SWIL
They may say this to avoid rubbing on the air dam... maybe. Or they are saying that because some people put super wide tires on or something. Regardless, the lift has little to do with the amount of backspacing you need. A lift gives you more vertical travel. The width of the tire is the thing that causes it to rub on the internal parts.

You should be fine. Keep us in the loop and we expect picture!!!
Thanks for the input and I'll follow up with some pics as we move along.

Reactions: MacGuyver and mrjp