TJ to JK, I have questions

inline.tj

Is it worth upgrading from a TJ to a JK? Not sure if I'm having a "grass is greener" moment but I'm curious of the pros/cons of it from an owner's perspective. Anyone else switch from a TJ to a JK?

Pic for clicks

view

The easiest way to decide would be to read some of the Problems they have, electrical issues are the most common.

Reactions: BigAL07
I've had a 98 and a 2000 TJ. I went to a JKU to get the 4dr. Both of my TJ's had issues with frame rot. I do miss the 4ltr engine that the TJ's had. I've had my JKU for almost 2 yrs now and the only electrical problem I have had was to replace the left rear wheel speed sensor. My TJ did travel nicely behind my motorhome, didn't even know it was there. If your TJ satisfies your requirements then stay with it. We all have our reasons why we have what we have.

20170102_145434.jpg

20160403_214222.jpg

20210523_152824.jpg

20210523_152833.jpg

I just recently made the switch from a TJUR to a JK Rubicon Recon. I caught a lot of flack for selling the TJUR (except from the guy who purchased it), but I am really glad that I did. My JK is a 2nd vehicle (as was the TJ) and I have found myself driving it more often than I ever did the TJ. Being more modern, not being a direct descendant of the CJ and YJ, it seems more solid on/off road and just more pleasurable to drive. I also have two kids, so the extra doors help tremendously (if you buy the Unlimited). My wife liked the TJ, but loves the JK. She also is driving it more often. She came back home the first time she took it out and said "this is mine now".

To each his own, I suppose. I have owned a CJ, YJ, TJ, and now the JK. I loved each and every one for various reasons and miss each one for various reasons.

Reactions: FJQue and BigAL07
I have a 1999 and a 2009. Both are manual trans, and during the summer both are soft tops. I drive the JK far more than the TJ. The TJ is a 4.0 is more nimble than the JK, but the JK has four doors and I'm surprised all the time what I can fit in there. I pull out the passenger seat on occasion and can haul up to around 9 foot lumber without it sticking out.

While the TJ is fun, it's not practical. The JK drives better and I can actually put people in it.

If you are thinking about getting a 2 door JK, then I would lean toward keeping the TJ. Easier to work on, though in the northern states TJs are notorious for frame rot that they fixed for the JKs. I tend not to drive the TJ in the winter, unless I have to.

Reactions: Fargo and BigAL07
I just recently made the switch from a TJUR to a JK Rubicon Recon. I caught a lot of flack for selling the TJUR (except from the guy who purchased it), but I am really glad that I did. My JK is a 2nd vehicle (as was the TJ) and I have found myself driving it more often than I ever did the TJ. Being more modern, not being a direct descendant of the CJ and YJ, it seems more solid on/off road and just more pleasurable to drive. I also have two kids, so the extra doors help tremendously (if you buy the Unlimited). My wife liked the TJ, but loves the JK. She also is driving it more often. She came back home the first time she took it out and said "this is mine now".

To each his own, I suppose. I have owned a CJ, YJ, TJ, and now the JK. I loved each and every one for various reasons and miss each one for various reasons.
Same situation here. My '98 TJ was my around town/wkd fun vehicle for the past 10yrs but with 4cyl, 33s, and a D35 axle, I knew what its limitations are on and offroad. I recently found a great deal on a '08 2dr rubicon 6sp with 35s on a 4"TF lift that has everything I needed on and offroad. The ride quality is much improved and it's so much quieter due to the carpeted DV8 hardtop. So now my Rubi is the DD and the '05 Tacoma is the wkd toy. I will miss the TJ since it was so easy to work on but now my family of 4 prefers going in the Rubi, even though it's a 2dr. (10yr and 14yo boys have no issues with the back seat, more comfy than TJ). No regrets here.

Reactions: FJQue and BigAL07
I've owned both and I honestly couldn't pick just one.

If you daily drive it and do a lot of commuting, the JK is far and above better (especially the 3.6 JKs).

If it's mostly just a weekend fun toy or off-road vehicle, I prefer the TJ.

Good info....I own a 2005 TJ and 2008 JK both with the NSG370, the TJ 4.0 and the JK the 3.8...and yesterday got a CJ5 again like my first Jeep in College.

1. Engine alone, the TJ in my opinion.

2. Driving....the JK started the phase that these are now SUVs. The TJ is still a Jeep. That's not a knock, but it's the original "Jeep" kind of feel in the TJ, light feeling, like not much to it almost is the best way to describe. The JK....just feels like an SUV with the top cut off. My son is back from Army for a while, and he drives it to Houston and Dallas for shooting comps....and he's doing 75+ cruising on the toll road, and I did the same, and with the soft top up, it's smooth even with 2.5" lift and 35" BFG MTs.

3. Biggest issue I've seen on the JK.....the electric fan sucks ass, if anyone disagrees I'm not interested in discussion. You spray out the engine pay when you're son still thinks mud is fun....month later you're getting a new Fing electric fan. Super, absolutely 100% pisses me off.

4. I haven't had electrical issues, we had what seemed to be, but the starter small wire from ignition just needed the female blade connection squeezed down to get a better connection.

While my son was off at West Point, I had both....and I kept the top on the 2008 and used it for a daily.....and I should have put a bluetooth setup, it was that solid. The 05 TJ I left the top off....and it's out when it's fun to drive not going somewhere I don't need to "smell like road" as my wife puts it, ha. Literally posted me with my "new to me" CJ5 yesterday, and had 10+ fraternity brothers post "oh, Malmquist will smell like gas all the time again".

Long winded, sorry, but I would say that for me....they don't compare. If you really want something that is a daily driver that feels like an SUB (which is totally cool, I get it, and felt it) then a JK is 100% worth it.

They both have their issues to work on....especially as they age. The TJ leaks zero oil, zero. The 2008 JK.....will never be dry, I've worked it, can't get it there. F'ing thing leaks oil, and I've read the timing cover is porous possibly, literally oil leaks through the metal, crazy, but I'm not pulling all that off at this point, with the other projects. Once a month, check the oil and add a touch. The later 3.6 engines I've just heard are better.

They both have the NSG370 6 speed, and I like both, a lot actually, contrary to many others thoughts.

Good Luck, sorry for going long.

Reactions: FJQue and mrjp
Good info....I own a 2005 TJ and 2008 JK both with the NSG370, the TJ 4.0 and the JK the 3.8...and yesterday got a CJ5 again like my first Jeep in College.

1. Engine alone, the TJ in my opinion.

2. Driving....the JK started the phase that these are now SUVs. The TJ is still a Jeep. That's not a knock, but it's the original "Jeep" kind of feel in the TJ, light feeling, like not much to it almost is the best way to describe. The JK....just feels like an SUV with the top cut off. My son is back from Army for a while, and he drives it to Houston and Dallas for shooting comps....and he's doing 75+ cruising on the toll road, and I did the same, and with the soft top up, it's smooth even with 2.5" lift and 35" BFG MTs.

3. Biggest issue I've seen on the JK.....the electric fan sucks ass, if anyone disagrees I'm not interested in discussion. You spray out the engine pay when you're son still thinks mud is fun....month later you're getting a new Fing electric fan. Super, absolutely 100% pisses me off.

4. I haven't had electrical issues, we had what seemed to be, but the starter small wire from ignition just needed the female blade connection squeezed down to get a better connection.

While my son was off at West Point, I had both....and I kept the top on the 2008 and used it for a daily.....and I should have put a bluetooth setup, it was that solid. The 05 TJ I left the top off....and it's out when it's fun to drive not going somewhere I don't need to "smell like road" as my wife puts it, ha. Literally posted me with my "new to me" CJ5 yesterday, and had 10+ fraternity brothers post "oh, Malmquist will smell like gas all the time again".

Long winded, sorry, but I would say that for me....they don't compare. If you really want something that is a daily driver that feels like an SUB (which is totally cool, I get it, and felt it) then a JK is 100% worth it.

They both have their issues to work on....especially as they age. The TJ leaks zero oil, zero. The 2008 JK.....will never be dry, I've worked it, can't get it there. F'ing thing leaks oil, and I've read the timing cover is porous possibly, literally oil leaks through the metal, crazy, but I'm not pulling all that off at this point, with the other projects. Once a month, check the oil and add a touch. The later 3.6 engines I've just heard are better.

They both have the NSG370 6 speed, and I like both, a lot actually, contrary to many others thoughts.

Good Luck, sorry for going long.
The main issue with item #3 is that you let your son take it mudding. Not to mention that you cleaned up the mess he made. Just my observation 😌

The main issue with item #3 is that you let your son take it mudding. Not to mention that you cleaned up the mess he made. Just my observation 😌
Agree! Hidden Falls Adventure Park in Marble Falls, TX here is pretty fun, they have some creeks and waterfalls and you go through, just gets that white dust wet and it slings it up everywhere, so I guess "mudding" isn't the 100% accurate term, considering I grew up in Houston and it's a freaking swamp, now that is "mudding" ha.

But yes, I'm getting like my brother, when it rains, his Roush Mustang doesn't sniff leaving the garage. That's probably too extreme, considering in 92 etc in College, I'd have my CJ5 window down and literally fill it with mud shooting up in East Texas...mudding is still pretty dame fun. Ha.

I recently purchased a '13 JKUR and I still have my 2005 LJ. Like others have said, the TJ/LJ just feels more Jeepy. It feels like a Jeep should feel. I love my JKUR. The bigger size and 4 doors are so nice for my family of 4. The thing is so luxurious and quiet. Its a fantastic platform for overlanding and vacation travel. But it just doesn't really feel like a Jeep. Its a great SUV for sure. But it doesn't have the nostolgic Jeep feel. I don't know how the 2door JK would compare. But for me, if you want the traditional Jeep look and feel, stick with the TJ. If you want something that feels more up to date, like a modern SUV, look to the JK or JL.

Reactions: mrjp
We have both, (2003 TJ & 2015 JKU Rubicon) and other than oil leaks on the TJ, we have been lucky that we have not had any serious/costly issues on either one.

Reactions: FJQue
We have both, (2003 TJ & 2015 JKU Rubicon) and other than oil leaks on the TJ, we have been lucky that we have not had any serious/costly issues on either one.
Oil leaks? I thought those weee a feature ! Ha.

Funny though I got my TJ dry eventually but our 08 is always a drip.

• Face Palm
Reactions: mrjp
Everybody has opinions, we own both, I’ll give our TJs the nod for compact size JK wins everywhere else.

Had a 1999 TJ manual with soft-top and no A/C. Would drive it around on the weekends when the weather was not 100+. Switched/upgraded to a 2013 JK with hard-top, auto and A/C. Became my daily driver and has gone on numerous road trips.

TJ was fun to "tinker" with and drive occasionally. JK allows me to enjoy a Jeep on a daily basis.

Reactions: Cobriscus and FJQue
It's much more pros than cons, sad truth but the only real comparison can be done vs a 2 dr JK.
4dr JK is not near the fun of a 2 dr JK one.

Let's be clear, I will drive my LJ till one of us left this world, so take my advice as... If you like to drive for an extended period of time on or off-road the JK is far superior, period. Plus being a newer model we have been finding it easier to source parts in remote isolated areas when need it. We also have found that to work around them ourselves is not that hard as long we have the proper knowledge, give it the proper care, and does not molest it much.

Good Luck with your decision making task.

Reactions: BigAL07
It depends on the year of the JK you are considering. I would avoid 2012 all together. The JK is nice, the earlier models of the JK prior to their "refresh" were ok. Not much of an improvement over the TJ's in my opinion. The refresh was good and brought the total fit and finish well above what a TJ ever was.

However, if you are looking for comfort, quietness, more of a modern ride then by all means the JK. I have had 3 TJ's, 2 JK's and a JL.

I still say the TJ is my favorite out of all but not necessarily as a daily drive for years on end especially if you have kids. That is where the 4 door JK just is better by far.

Reactions: BigAL07 and mrjp