Tire PSI question

Yes, this is indeed correct. 26-28 psi is right about where you want to be. You can always do a chalk test to know for sure, but I think you'll find out that even with a chalk test, you'll find out that psi range is usually right.

45 psi is absolutely insane to be running on a Jeep.

Yes, this is indeed correct. 26-28 psi is right about where you want to be. You can always do a chalk test to know for sure, but I think you'll find out that even with a chalk test, you'll find out that psi range is usually right.

45 psi is absolutely insane to be running on a Jeep.
Yeah. On the test drive it felt like the roughest ride ever. Noticed the PSI was at 48.

Now down to 32 and it's soooooo beautiful.

Yeah. On the test drive it felt like the roughest ride ever. Noticed the PSI was at 48.

Now down to 32 and it's soooooo beautiful.

Take it down to 26 or 28 and you'll be even more shocked at how much better it rides.

32 psi is still too much in all honesty.

Reactions: Hooperdog
Never had any concern with a blow out going that low at all?

Nope, that's not anywhere close to low enough to have a blow out. You'd have to be probably around 10 psi and driving at higher speeds.

I've been running 26 psi on all of my Wranglers for the past 7+ years.

Reactions: tsetsefly1
45 pounds is probably the label on the tire for the maximum it can be run safely. I know of no small truck or car that should have the tires pumped that high.
There is a sticker on the drivers door to tell you what the car/truck manufacture recommends, which is usually good for highway and MPG. When the the road gets rough or snowy it helps to lower the pressure for a better ride and/or traction.
If the conditions are really bad you could go down to 10 psi, but then you drive really slow as the vehicle will wobble all over due to the soft sidewalls. For winter road driving I find 25 psi is a good compromise. For trail, your back, or spinning tires will let you know if the pressure is too high. For fare weather daily driver the psi on the door works just fine on a stock JK.
Don

Last edited:
45 pounds is probably the label on the tire for the maximum it can be run safely. I know of no small truck or car that should have the tires pumped that high.
There is a sticker on the drivers door to tell you what the car/truck manufacture recommends, which is usually good for highway and MPG. When the the road gets rough or snowy it helps to lower the pressure for a better ride and/or traction.
If the conditions are really bad you could go down to 10 psi, but then you drive really slow as the vehicle will wobble all over due to the soft sidewalls. For winter road driving I find 25 psi is a good compromise. For trail, your back, or spinning tires will let you know if the pressure is too high. For fare weather daily driver the psi on the door works just fine on a stock JK.
Don
I would assume that PSI sticker though refers to the stock tires? If there is a larger tire, or a tire with a 'stiffer' sidewall meant for heavier vehicles, you still wouldn't go by that PSI, would you?

My TJ had large tires with a stiff sidewall and I ran the PSI well below the recommendation on the sticker.

Nope, that's not anywhere close to low enough to have a blow out. You'd have to be probably around 10 psi and driving at higher speeds.

I've been running 26 psi on all of my Wranglers for the past 7+ years.
Any tricks to get rid of the low tire pressure warning now that I'm around 29 - 30 PSI?

Are there wear issues (faster, shoulder wear) with running the tires 26-28psi? I’m running stock 255/75r17 BFG KM’s. Or is that more pertinent to the larger tires?

Not that I’m that concerned I guess... it’ll be an excuse to get 285/70’s sooner 😉

Any tricks to get rid of the low tire pressure warning now that I'm around 29 - 30 PSI?

You can get a programmer to adjust when your low pressure TPMS light activates, as well as light delay, stereo delay, tire size/speedo adjustment and all that stuff.

Reactions: tsetsefly1