Tire Advice

KMarkland

I am hoping to receive some advice on tire sizes. I own a 2013 Jeep Wrangler 2 door that I just put on a leveling kit. I have 255/17 BFG Mud tires on it now. I also have a set of General Grabber ATX 225/16's on my stock rims. I want to move to 285/17's. I live in Wisconsin and this is my everyday driver, so it sees winter. Would I be better, to run the 225's in the winter and 285 BFG mud tires for the summer or 285 all terrains and run year round. I do not do a lot of off road, but my thinking was the skinny 225 would be better in the snow than the 285?

Thank you, that was my thought as well, the jeep will just look weird with the 225's in the winter, but at least it will move thru the snow

No, right now, I have 255's mud tires on. My 2nd set of tires and rims are 225's (OEM with the sport)....I will be upgrading to 285's in the near future.

No, right now, I have 255's mud tires on. My 2nd set of tires and rims are 225's (OEM with the sport)....I will be upgrading to 285's in the near future.

I didn't know they put that small of a tire on JK's, the 255's would also be a good winter tire.

yes mine came with 255s and 16 rims factory sport X rims and street tires, I love Nittos on my 2nd set now are 285/70/17 AT,and had no problems with any road conditions and even snow!

Yes and no actually. If you have 2 sets of the same tread design and tread depth the 225 would be noticeable in 8”+ deep snow. The slop left from plows on the average winter road you would hardly notice a difference.
What will be different is your speedometer because of the big circumference change. I switched from 255/75 to 285/70 and they are just shy of an inch wider. Not really a big difference.

Reactions: Chris