Throttle body butterfly valve position

NineLives

Happy Saturday!

I installed a new OEM TB about a month ago and have about 5K miles on it. That took care of the red lightning bolt until this morning. I parked for an hour after driving in the mountains for almost 2hrs. Went to leave my spot and was sitting in reverse for about a minute fiddling with my radio and the engine surged and the dash lit up. Moved forward to park again and got another surge.

Shut everything off and popped the hood to check connections first. TPS plug is secure, no issues with wire harness. Front of TB still super clean (did not remove to inspect the back, but no reason to feel it is gunked up).

I noticed when pushing the butterfly in to inspect inside, that it did not fully close at the bottom side of the valve. I had to push the top in to make it close/flush to the bottom.

Is that normal with the engine off? Did not have key in ignition either. Is this what is meant by a partially open TB? I can't find an answer to this specific question. Should the butterfly be fully closed with engine off/key off?

The part is under warranty. Unfortunately the old TB is long gone for me to compare. Just not sure if I need to head back to the store to replace this.

Thanks.

I don't know the answer to the butterfly question, but when I replaced my TB I had to do the gas pedal reset to get the Lightning bolt to go away.

The reset might make sure your TB is setting properly to work like it's supposed to. Also this is for the 3.8 engine not sure if it works for the 3.6.

Reactions: NineLives
I don't know the answer to the butterfly question, but when I replaced my TB I had to do the gas pedal reset to get the Lightning bolt to go away.

The reset might make sure your TB is setting properly to work like it's supposed to. Also this is for the 3.8 engine not sure if it works for the 3.6.

[/URL]
Thanks. I did that after installing the TB last month. I also did it just for SnG this morning after the issue came about.

After TB installation last month, CEL came back on after a day and I never got the codes scanned. I had it scanned prior to the installation, which resulted in some other minor repairs in addition to the TB replacement.

On my way home from an errand just now, I stopped by where I picked up the new TB from to examine a new TB in the box. It doesn't fully close either. Not sure what to think haha! Do they have bunk parts, or is this normal? 🤔

I also got my codes scanned. Happy to see the cat codes are gone after replacing sensors last time, but I do have some codes I need to check out related to my current issue.

Anyone is free to offer insight/experience for the codes I've got while I research stuff. I'm attaching a picture.

20230805_133004.jpg