This Happened: Hoping for an Explanation

Anybodyhome

USN Retired (1973-1993)
Supporting Member
Yesterday morning, before taking the dogs to the dog park, my JKU wouldn't start with the remote. It was 29 F. Thought it might be due to gas being low, but I would have noticed. Nonetheless, I went outside to start it and the remote wouldn't unlock it, either. So, inserting the key, I manually unlocked the door and then nothing happened when I turned the key. I mean nothing. No dash lights, no telltale clicking of a dead battery- nothing.
So, I jumped it and it fired right up. Let it run for a few minutes, shut it down and it fired right back up. The battery is only a few months old, btw. The only thing that would not work was the radio. I got nothing there at all. Ultimately, I disconnected the battery for about 15 minutes, reconnected it and the radio came back up.
Nothing out of the ordinary beforehand. No weather, no codes, no warning lights- nothing.
Ideas?

Last edited:
Yesterday morning, before taking the dogs to the dog park, my JKU wouldn't start with the remote. It was 29 F. Thought it might be due to may gas being low, but I would have noticed. Nonetheless, I went outside to start it and the remote wouldn't unlock it, either. So, inserting the key, I manually unlocked the door and then nothing happened when I turned the key. I mean nothing. No dash lights, no telltale clicking of a dead battery- nothing.
So, I jumped it and it fired right up. Let it run for a few minutes, shut it down and it fired right back up. The battery is only a few months old, btw. The only thing that would not work was the radio. I got nothing there at all. Ultimately, I disconnected the battery for about 15 minutes, reconnected it and the radio came back up.
Nothing out of the ordinary beforehand. No weather, no codes, no warning lights- nothing.
Ideas?

Dirty battery clamps, cold weather can cause electrical issues with corrosion.

Dirty battery clamps, cold weather can cause electrical issues with corrosion.
I replaced both battery clamps and checked all the grounds when I put in the new battery. It's been cold overnite a few times lately, but the air is so dry there's no frost or moisture in the air.