Thinking of going to 275X70R17 tires

Chino Willys

Have a JK Willys Wheeler 2Dr and need tires thinking of going to a 275x70x17 All Terrain being I dont need MT. Has anyone made this switch? A half inch wider shouldnt be any fitment issues with the stock wheels? Not many LT tires in this size in load range C. I do 80 percent Highway driving and 20 percent mild offroad. Thanks for your feedback. Tom

Have a JK Willys Wheeler 2Dr and need tires thinking of going to a 275x70x17 All Terrain being I dont need MT. Has anyone made this switch? A half inch wider shouldnt be any fitment issues with the stock wheels? Not many LT tires in this size in load range C. I do 80 percent Highway driving and 20 percent mild offroad. Thanks for your feedback. Tom
I have a 2018 Willys JK 4Dr. I went with BFG 285/70 R17 AT tires on the stock wheels. They are about an inch taller and wider than the 255/70 R16 BFG MT that were on the Jeep. I really like the stock wheels but there was an issue of rubbing on the front sway bar at full right and left turns. I could have run them just fine but I also want to improve the wider stance look without having the wheels/tires extend to far outside of the wheel wells. Therefore, to keep the stock wheels, I went with 1.5" Spidertrax wheel spacers. This accomplished the look and feel I wanted and eliminated the rubbing with room to spare. So far so good for me. As to your original question, my rubbing was very slight with the 285's so I'd compare the width dimensions of the 285's and the 275's. if the 275's width is less than the 285's you'll probably be fine. Most tire shops will do a test fit. It's a little more work for them but worth the time to know before you buy. Hope this helps!
IMG_3442.jpegIMG_3441.jpegIMG_3440.jpegIMG_3443.jpeg

Reactions: mrjp
275 is 10mm narrower than 285. That first number is the width of the tire in millimeters.
So for the rubbing, you will be 5mm less on the inside than Willy's with his 285s. Will 275 rub? I'm pretty sure they will not.