Thermostat P0128 code

Gabbysl

Hello guys im new to this site! A couple of weeks ago my check engine light came on and i checked the engine code and it came up P0128. I looked up the possible cause for that code and it stated it could be a bad Thermostat. My question is what would i need to replace that part? I know i need the part but what coolant should i purchase? I was attempting to purchase the part and what else i thought i needed so that my brother can help me change the part but there are so many options given and I really dont want to buy the wrong one and mess up my jeep. I know this might be a dumb question so sorry in advance and thank you.

The question is what year is your Wrangler, the following is for a 2014 wrangler with the 3.6L engine, if you have a different year you will need to do a search for that specific year.

Here is what napaonline.com offers for thermostat and coolant/antifreeze:
If you need the thermostat assembly with the thermostat they also offer that:
No, I do not work for NAPA, they just offer the easiest online site and usually have a store close by.

Reactions: mrjp and BLACKJKU
Hello guys im new to this site! A couple of weeks ago my check engine light came on and i checked the engine code and it came up P0128. I looked up the possible cause for that code and it stated it could be a bad Thermostat. My question is what would i need to replace that part? I know i need the part but what coolant should i purchase? I was attempting to purchase the part and what else i thought i needed so that my brother can help me change the part but there are so many options given and I really dont want to buy the wrong one and mess up my jeep. I know this might be a dumb question so sorry in advance and thank you.

There is no dumb question if your trying to learn. How many miles on the Jeep if it has quite a few might be worth it to completely change the coolant and flush it out.

Reactions: mrjp
I agree with Black. Unless there's a bad gasket or the t-stat died for some strange reason, it's very rare a t-stat goes bad after 50k miles.
Check your temp gauge at idle and while running, check coolant level and maybe do a cooling flush and change before heading down the t-stat path.
Winter just rolled in with colder temps and if this is the first sustained period of cooler temps in your area, it's more than likely you need nothing more than to flush and fill. Old, crappy coolant can build up and create a sticky t-stat.

Most newer T Stats are made to fail open so the engine doesn't overheat. Your temp gauge should tell you what's going on, if the T Stat did fail then your engine won't get to normal operating temp and you won't have much heat.

Reactions: mrjp