The Systematic Upgrade Continues

One might wonder why we haven't upgraded the front or rear bumper as this is a two part answer. First the front bumper hasn't been upgraded because we're still not done with the suspension, then learning the caster angle is off and the steering components gave up the ghost, So I'm reluctant to even having a new heavy duty front bumper installed until these issues have been addressed.

Prod_Ranger_ProdB_Lg.png

As for the rear bumper, according to the site, it hasn't even been made yet. We're going with the Pronghorn companies front and rear bumpers just as soon as I get word back from them. But then again, reviews on the BBB site have shown that the company hasn't been responding to customers. One has to realize the with the pandemic, everything has been pushed back. So even though I've said pronghorn, we may end up with something else or retain the factory bumpers.

I've not ruled out my second choice for a front bumper,

uxe-Classic-front-bumper-JL-lifestyle-front-angled.jpg

However, as always, I'll be sending this bumper or any bumper I select to the shop. Once there, the shop will make a few adjustments, and re-powder coat these the same color as the jeep.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Chris
As long as we're on the subject of bumpers etc, I've also selected the side steps for the jeep. TNT off road is the next company i've contacted. I asked if they can send they side rail/step to my powder coater untreated on not coated at all. This would save a step when allowing our shop to coat these parts before their installed on the jeep.

JK%204Dr%20Sliders.jpg

Again, these rails would be sent to our powder coated/shop a few adjustments made and the parts powder coated the same color as the jeep.

With the Metalcloak Drag link, Tie rod & Track bar just weeks away from being installed on our 017 wrangler, I've been researching video on how others have been installer systems. One case in this attached image from a video found last week. I'm having an issue with how this fellow installed the drag link, as the bend in the bar is hanging down and seems to be touching the tie rod.

MetalCloakInstall.png

According to other sites even metalcloaks site, this bar should be parable to the tie rod and inline with the left and right ball joints. So I'm hoping this fellow ended up correcting this issue or he could be hearing a clunk/knock while driving about.

Lastly, yesterday I spoke with another fellow I've known in this area for several years. When I first met him, he had just went to one of those off road parks and he then abruptly open the hood of his jeep and showed me.. Mud.. I'm like NO!! Mud covered his entire engine and he was very proud for this. I learn that after he drove the course, the host/owners of the park dumped buckets of muddy water onto his engine. just another reason I'll never do one of those off road parks. let us find our own trail and we've been doing just fine with our offline maps app.

As I told him we're getting the metalcloak upgrade, he's like "Remember when I had those Moog ball joints installed on my jeep?" He goes on to say that those ball joints failed after just 1 year of use. Mind you he drive his jeep more off road /trail than I do. I guess we both learn our lesson while using Moog Products. Don't get me wrong Moog is a good product just we used the ball joints drag link, tie rod assembly for the wrong application. So if you're going to retain your factory wheels and tires, the Moog setup is a mild upgrade to the factory setup. But going any larger than 35 inch tires, you're going to have to think about 1 ton or even 2 ton balls joints etc.

Anyway, he said he needs a new shop and when I told him about our next install, he seem very interested in our plans and always want to see the outcome.

Even with all the structural and suspension issues, I've been systematically ordering a few smaller components that one would need at some point in time. After searching the forums and sites like Reddit, there's been issue with limp mode or jeeps not wanting to start. At least two main culprit have been the Camshaft sensor & the crankshaft senor so I ordered them both from rockauto and keep them in the jeep at all times.

71KaKc2bVkL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Something else thats also in the tool bag is the above part. This is a new replacement bushing for the shiftier cable as these have also been known to fall off leaving your jeep in limp mode or worse drive mode. Again just a few simply items one should think about keeping in their jeep just in case. This little plastic part coast less than $30.00 if you install it. Have the dealership install it? its going to cost you over $300.00 and they wouldn't hesitate to replacing the cable, which doesn't even need replacing.

Uncertain Future Ahead:

With money being extremely tight all of a sudden and with the uncertain future, we're having to postpone our build. But we still need that steering components installed on the jeep. Fortunate for us, we've already been allotted several months of being able to work over time.

Nephew called last night asking about the Sway bar assemble for his Malibu. I told him I'll order this in the next few weeks i'll be ordering these parts from Summitracing and have them shipped to him. He also goes on to say he's willing to help our build as much as possible. So we may order the parts, take a long weekend and drive down to see them sometime between Thanksgiving and xmas.

Reactions: Chris and mrjp
Even with the uncertain future ahead of us, The wife still wants me to order those parts and make the necessary adjustments once the parts arrive at our location. So here's what I've ordered this morning:

( 2 ) TeraFlex 4'' Sway Bar Center End Links for (0''-3'')
( 1 ) MetalCloak Durotrak Front Track Bar
( 1 ) MetalCloak Steering Stabilizer Axle Side Mount
( 1 ) Bilstein 5100 Series Steering Stabilizer

Extra:

( 1 ) Red BMR Sway Bar Assembly w/ Bushings & End links (Malibu)

In a few weeks, we'll complete the front end assembly order:

( 1 ) MetalCloak Chromoly Dog-Legged Tie Rod
( 1 ) Metalcloak HD Drag Link
( 1 ) OEMTOOLS Ball Joint Separator

One thing I may also do, is order another set of the Northridge4x4 Grade 8 Bolt kit as we'll be needing these when it's time to add the upper and lower Metalcloak control arms. Our Nephew seems very confident he can do the work, Even though I have chronic pain, I'll walk him through it.

One thing one can look forward to is more photos on the parts being installed. Doing these things myself I tend to forget or my hands are oily/grease and I didn't want to mess up the camera. Then there's the times when I'm not able to enter shops to get photos due to regulations etc.

See you with our next update.

This mornings update is late because yesterday evening, I get a voice mail from Metalcloaks saying they've adjusted my charge because I purchased two items on separate tickets. In other words, they saved me the shipping charge on sending the damper relocation bracket. Not many companies would take the time to personally call us and remove the shipping charge because we made a mistake in ordering their products.

So far with all the items ordered last week, most will arrive on time within 1 or 2 weeks. Then I can get to work on adjusting the 2 sway bar end links to the correct length. I may also have to run to Tractor supply for a new set of zinc plated grade 8 bolts for the new components being installed.

Also, left out early this morning to have the jeep first emissions test. The guys at the emissions station were all over the jeep, asking questions about the half doors, half top and what "Oscar Mike" meant, I as I've placed two OM on the jeep with the hand painted stripes. oh and yes the jeep passed emissions.

It seems very uncommon to see JKs with half doors. Certainly not as common as they are on TJs or YJs. I really love them on the JKs though, I wish you saw them more often.

I really like the rear bumper design, make sure its going to work with your future plans (drop in camper). The side steps are pretty nice, I like them a lot.

From reading it sounds to me that there should almost be a his and hers set of Jeeps in the driveway. Its very cool if you are working together picking everything out.

Happy trails!

Today's update, Teraflex spokesperson send me an email saying they do not like using the USPS to delivery items. I told them I deliberately selected our P.O. Box because for the last 4 years UPS & Fed-ex have deliberately screwed up our orders by either delivering them to the wrong address or delivering them damaged. A few times I've called UPS & FED-ex because of their mishandling of our products. In fact when we ordered the Rampage trailview half top. The first Fed-ex driver refused to delivery the very larger package to our address. This is just one reason we're having a hard time getting those parts we need from retailers and often I'm left to have to use amazon, which we've never had any issue with when delivering parts.

1700010-2__84484.1559702351.jpg

Also, Just learn something that was important to me which I wasn't able to locate at the Teraflex site. I located this info on the Rebeloffroad site which shows that sway link can be adjusted to 6.5-8.5 inches long. Currently, our sway link is 8.5 and I would consider this to be too long. when the jeep flex over bumps in the road or offroad, these sway link ends keep hitting the frame. ideally there are perimeters for the setting of the sway links. So the factory or moog shorts are too short where as the factory or moog rear links are too long. This is all due to having a jerry rigged lift kit on the jeep.

So for the record, I informed Teraflex to deliver my sway links to either my P.O. Box or home address but use USPS. According to Teraflex spokesperson, they are going to use Fed-ex 2 day shipping and ignore my request to have the items delivered USPS. We will see how this pans out..

• Wow
Reactions: mrjp
Even with all the structural and suspension issues, I've been systematically ordering a few smaller components that one would need at some point in time. After searching the forums and sites like Reddit, there's been issue with limp mode or jeeps not wanting to start. At least two main culprit have been the Camshaft sensor & the crankshaft senor so I ordered them both from rockauto and keep them in the jeep at all times.

View attachment 117159
Something else thats also in the tool bag is the above part. This is a new replacement bushing for the shiftier cable as these have also been known to fall off leaving your jeep in limp mode or worse drive mode. Again just a few simply items one should think about keeping in their jeep just in case. This little plastic part coast less than $30.00 if you install it. Have the dealership install it? its going to cost you over $300.00 and they wouldn't hesitate to replacing the cable, which doesn't even need replacing.
I've never seen this before. I'm familiar with the replacement (68064273AB) which is white & looks like this
s-l300.jpg

And the Heavy Duty JK Cable Shifter Upgrade from Advance Adapters, but this is new. Can you share a link?